Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found the bike below and it looks nice. However as this is my first bike I am mechanically clueless. Is someone able to give a little of their time to go over there in Perivale and have a look at it with me?

1987 HONDA XL600 TRANSALP NICE TIDY RELIABLE BIKE, WOW | eBay UK

Apologies if this sort of message is not allowed without being a subscriber, please let me know if that is the case and I will subscribe.

Thanks very much

Paul

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I know the guy who would have jumped at a chance to help you out but unfortunately he is off a-bimbleing in Italia at the moment .
It's a pity you didnt find and post this earlier as there would have been a whole coshel of folks to help you at the weekend but saying that i'm sure helps not far away.
If not check on the final drive splines ,the front cog fixing to see if it's badly worn but it's hardly done any milage so should be ok.

PS; looks nice , good find:thumbup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a reliable dealer too, as he does only classics and been around for ages. I am nervous posting it up in case someone takes it before me.

I just love the 80's design and colours, and understood that the Transalp is a great bike to start learning about mechanics which is what I'd like to do. Anyway, thanks Paulc.
Cheers
Paul

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Nice looking bike with great colour scheme.
38,000 miles, should only have to worry about things like wheel bearings, so pretty good.
But, as Paul Says, check out the final drive splines.
If you definitely want it and tell the dealer based on the splines that you'll have it, he should show you them.
All it takes is for him to remove the gear lever and two bolts securing the cover.
It takes a whole 1 minute to remove!
If he disagrees, walk away.
You might need to remove the sprocket retaining ring as well; another minute.
If he gives you a combined time of 5-10 minutes, including the time to go to the bike and get tools, he'll have a sale and you'll be happy.
Good luck and welcome.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Oh and get there quick!
I've just looked at it again and with the reputation of Trannies and this lot on here, that will not hang around.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
If he is a reputable dealer and honest, get the bike anyway as he should give you a decent warranty and if it turns out that its naughty (which I doubt ) you just take it back to be fixed ,either way you get your bike :thumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I have emailed him to reserve the bike and I will place a deposit in the morning...subject to the splines. I notice in the item history it only went on tonight. Damn I hope I snare this beauty, such a cool first bike.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The best of luck ole chap :thumbright:

John your a traitor , hang your head in shame young man :D

One other thing , being an 87 check the wheels for ally rot around the spokes ( bad corrosion ) but it looks in such good condition and such low mileage it must have been a summer bike only

·
Registered
93 Posts
Be carefull I know the guy Frank my mate bought an R1 off him looked nice 3000 miler we later found out it had done all its mileage on the track (When we tried to trade it in) however that may have been a oversight as my mate bught 3 other bikes that were all good, He doesnt only do classics he also sells all types of bikes last time I was over there he had a 6mth old MV Augusta in there
Check it out properly I very much doubt he will offer any warrantee with a bike this old and all that shines isnt a good bike
Get a test ride for a couple of hours and run it in for an MOT that will tell you if anything is falling off or worn out

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
thats a VERY old transalp, one of the first models. might be ok, hard to tell from those photos, they dont show much detail. check if the engine sounds ok

this might be a better bet, but its in Cheshire

HONDA XL TRANSALP 600cc

·
almost human? Possibly
396 Posts
My first bike after getting my full licence was the same model and year absolutely loved it brilliant bike easy to work on as others have said check the spline and take it for a good test ride as long as it good you won’t be disappointed

have fun :D

Derek :thumbup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
It used to be the thing to do when buying an older bike not sure its still possible now with the computer generated MOT,s to be honest Id look to employ the services of a decent Mechanic and take him with you, I know it looks a cheap bike but even still you dont want to buy it and spend a fortune getting it right, is he offering any warrentee with it ?

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
Never seen an Alp with plastic fork/disc covers, import??

Looks like the frame has been sprayed as the black bung over the swingarm pivot is silver.
Overall looks tidy tho.

Phil

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
if you do buy it, or any 600 transalp, check the CDis under the seat are in the 'new' type holder, else the seat pushes on them and they fail. very costly

·
Stone Crazy
5,315 Posts
Before i say anyting else i have not dealt with him personally but be careful be very careful he sells classics at over inflated prices too gullible collectors , and I once told him that a bike he was claiming as all original and unrestored could not be as they never came in that colour , just to get a string of abuse back, all the bikes in his showroom had been owned by the local vicar on his bike trader ads and the next week the bikein question had "they did come in this colour new Mervin" written below it even though, i had owned one in the sevnties from new and the colour in question was from a different model as i saw in the showroom with my own eyes, the the week after the vicar that owned all the bikes was Mervin our local vicar, i took all of this lightheartedly and let him carry on , make sure you check it out properly before you part with your money, I am ver surprised he is not asking for about £2000 more than that

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
i would personally never buy a bike from a dealer, you pay 20-30% more for the bike, sure the bikes all look nice, but mostly its because they have been cleaned well.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than £1,000 for this bike. I think you are better off getting a newer 600 transalp with fewer miles for a few hundred pounds more.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts