Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here goes!!

Had a great ride out the other day but I'm concerned that the clutch is slipping. Had a look at the free play and thats fine, then went to look at examining the plates only to find that I have to take the exhaust down tubes off. Only problem is the retaining clips are a ball of rust (the exhaust must be held together by the force)

1. If I replace them with normal jubilee clips will that be okay?

2. Dare I continue and find loads more stuff wrong anfd be obliged to fix it!?

3. Does anybody run the system with out the cat sub chamber and if so what are the effects? (MOT Emission, power increase/decrease?)

Cheers in advance

Loic

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I once replaced a whole clutch and springs because it had gradually got worse and started to slip.

I assumed to much!

CHECK that your problems aren't all due to a binding clutch cable. Mine were, and I was gutted I did all that work for nothing!!!

Bob

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
if you manage to get the exhaust off
(try these as a replacement for the gasket and the clamp if that is what is rusty Honda Transalp Exhaust Silencer Seal & Clamp 553551 x1 on eBay (end time 14-May-10 15:31:08 BST) )
and the side case you may find the clutch has developed something called stepping. It is where grooves have developed in the clutch cage and the clutch does not immediately engage by applying pressure on the plates because the teeth that are held in the clutch basket are sitting in these grooves untill you either decellerate a bit to pull them out and they are able to apply the pressure to the plates. It is an easy fix to take the cage off and GENTLY file down the sides of the cage teeth to get rid of the groves or teeth like stepping.
There are some threads on here put up by people who had the same problem, do a search you may find some pics.
It may not be this of course, I had a problem once where the clutch arm would not disengage and I thought the clutch had gone completely, upon half way through the dissassembly of the bike it dissengaged and has been fine ever since as long as I have had the clutch cable adjusted correctly not as the dealer had set it.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
3. Does anybody run the system with out the cat sub chamber and if so what are the effects? (MOT Emission, power increase/decrease?)
Bikes are not tested for Emissions and as long as the exhaust is not too loud and does not have " Not for Road Use" it should pass the test.

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
Put it in top gear at about 35MPH then accelerate, if the clutch is slipping the revs will rise but you wont speed up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well finally! Thats it all done the clutch plates have been replaced as they were on the limit. Only cost £140 for parts from David Silvers and about a tenner for various seized and sheared bolts. One of the sheared bolts was on the clutch retaining plate, I replaced the lot as they two were overtorqued at some point you could see the waisting! Took me about a day in total which is quite good considering I've never done the job before, next time will be quicker as I know what to expect now!!

Cheers for all the help guys:thumbup:

Loic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts