Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6ft2 100kg ..missus is 65kg 5ft 5 . I've ridden an AT but only solo. I know it's a little underpowered for a pillion but I can live with that ..however i hate riding bikes with someone bearing down on me from behind ( ooer missus ) . Just wondered if with a bit of jiggery pokery the set up can be made better for 2 up ? I improved things on my dommie by fitting an extended aluminium plate on the rack then mounting a topbox a little further back than normal which allowed the other half to move back slightly . Anyone done anything similar to their twin ? your advice/experiences/ ideas would be much appreciated . thanks
Bill

·
Registered
261 Posts
Get the seat rejigged. If you take it to a decent shop, they should be able to get some rough shapes while you wait. You/pillion can go higher, lower, make rider seat bigger, pillion smaller, put gel pads in, etc.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
You will definitely have to make a plate to set the top box back about 3 or 4 inches then it will be ok - also remove the top box backrest pad if fitted.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whilst on the subject if anyone is in the know ..how does the transalp ( 600/650 ) compare to the AT re pillion comfort?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I find the biggest problem with the AT seat two-up is the slope: the pillion keeps creeping forward, especially if its stop-go and you're braking a lot. She keeps having to stand on the pegs and shift her bum back. I guess the only answer to this is the stepped design: I have a spare seat now that I'm going to modify (been saying that for ages, I only remember when we both go out. Doh!)

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Seat definitely a problem - I am similar weight and pillion too

Move the rack back and use a bag instead of a topbox

I did a TLD run and was riding for almost 36 hrs continuous two up. We both had Airhawks - would have been a nightmare without these

·
Registered
2 Posts
whilst on the subject if anyone is in the know ..how does the transalp ( 600/650 ) compare to the AT re pillion comfort?
I have tried both Transalp 650 and AT RD07A.
I am tall and long legged. I have ridden with both short and tall pillions.
The AT is so much better in all aspects for two up ride. I found the Transalp very uncomfortable with pillion, for several reasons: the seat is too inclined, the pillion always coming down on you (not only when breaking); and when you find yourself pushed forward, the foot pegs stay back forcing your knees in a very uncomfortable position (I had sore knees after only a few tens of km); the rear suspension on the Transalp is too soft for two up; and then the overall handling of the bike just doesn't seem right, it is too small.
The AT is fine, I did long journeys with a pillion (road only) and was quite happy with it.

Regarding pillion comfort, I could not tell. I had different pillions on the 2 bikes, they do not know the differnce, but none complained :happy3:
I am guessing though the AT is again much better, wider foot pegs, taller seat. Some think the seat is too skinny, but I haven't heard complains. The fabric on the surface of it also prevents the pillion to slip forward, compared to the Transalp.

·
Registered
497 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sorry forgot to add;-

When I first had them made I felt there was too much flex in the plastic rack so I made a couple of aluminium rods that went from the rear of the rack down to my pannier rails. After purchasing a ARDcases topbox which comes with a very substancial stainless mounting plate I found it took all the flex out and not requiring the stabilising rods

·
Registered
969 Posts
Following this thread with interest, I get my AT next week and have a wifething to lug around.
From pictures I had wondered about space for two in terms of length. I can also weld and have all the cutting and bending gear.
Peterpan you may have saved me a lot of messing about by showing this idea, it looks like a good starting point.
cant wait for bike to turn up. I also have a 'comfort seat' from my Pan that looks as though it could be adapted to go an AT seat.
The AT seems to be a bike that attracts fiddlers.
Chunko'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts