Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as title of thread.

just got myself another T/A and clutch slips when trying to accelerate hard. gentle use and its ok. not had chance to put it on centre stand yet to check oil but seller has reciept for oil and filter change.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
won't cause slip but can destroy the engine. clutch relies on having oil to work.
just lean the bike up against a wall or held up by a helper,more accurate check for oil level if done on level ground than on centre stand.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
oh and check the clutch cable has not been over adjusted that caan cause slip,if it has a slight amount of slack engine end,ie it is not bow string tight and the arm can release completely,otherwise you have to maybe look at a new clutch.

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
I am not an expert , but maybe the oil was changed with the wrong type of oil .. could cause slip .. But I would check level asap , maybe do a oil change with correct oil just for piece of mind.

Someone that is an expert, will no doubt be along shortly to tell you for sure.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
I am not an expert , but maybe the oil was changed with the wrong type of oil .. could cause slip .. But I would check level asap , maybe do a oil change with correct oil just for piece of mind.

Someone that is an expert, will no doubt be along shortly to tell you for sure.
he's right, Forgot that bit, if car synthetic or semi synthetic has been used it'll slip as it has anti-properties as far as the clutch is concerned,and some fully synthetics unsuitable,but if you have a receipt it should have been done properly. Ring the oil changer and ask what he used.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will have a proper look in the morning,cant be too bad as i rode it home.
just may need to talk to seller about it,if it needs a clutch i think he should have known and dropped the price?

·
Registered
114 Posts
As BTbloke says, To much oil won't cause the clutch slip, but can lead to engine problems. You say that the seller has receipt for oil & filter change. Do yoiu know what type of oil he used? This may have a bearing on it. Some clutches if run in Fully Synthetic oil can slip, if you later change to anything other than fully syntetic oil for subsequent oil changes. Or heaven forbid, someone used car engine oil which contians friction inhibitors, not ideal in a clutch!

Of course it may just be that the clutch needs adjustment, or replacing if it is worn out. You don't say what the mileage is!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mileage? 52000! could be time for new,but a bit miffed seller had not noticed it slipping. and when i phoned him a while ago he had "gone out!"

·
Registered
217 Posts
To answer the question - No. Much more likely to be something else - stretched cable, clutch needs adjusting, too much play at lever etc etc. Not really convinced about the oil argument. I use Synta semi-syth 10W/40 - a decent VW car oil - with no issues. I don't buy the argument that bike oil is fundamentally different, but each to his own...

·
How much is the fish?
422 Posts
Not really convinced about the oil argument. I use Synta semi-syth 10W/40 - a decent VW car oil - with no issues. I don't buy the argument that bike oil is fundamentally different, but each to his own...
I agree with you. I was reading a few articles recently which said that the only time you'd experience problem using car oil is if it is marked "eco" or something similar, as these oils do have additives which will make your clutch slip. All other car oils should be fine - I ran my GS750 on Castrol GTX for many years with no problems.

·
Registered
897 Posts
To answer the question - No. Much more likely to be something else - stretched cable, clutch needs adjusting, too much play at lever etc etc. Not really convinced about the oil argument. I use Synta semi-syth 10W/40 - a decent VW car oil - with no issues. I don't buy the argument that bike oil is fundamentally different, but each to his own...
But the oil that causes a problem for wet clutches has the friction inhibitors in it.

I had a rotax 500 engine one time with a bad clutch slip I changed the oil to a diesel and it improved right away I just put it down to the detergent content cleaning the plates. ------ Chris

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
The slip you describe sounds exactly like mine a short while before the clutch finally went.

It would have lasted a while longer if we hadn't been off roading in Dent at the national.

Price it for a clutch fairly soon.........'course, I could be wrong....:confused:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
But the oil that causes a problem for wet clutches has the friction inhibitors in it.

I had a rotax 500 engine one time with a bad clutch slip I changed the oil to a diesel and it improved right away I just put it down to the detergent content cleaning the plates. ------ Chris
The Army used to use Oil Mineral Detergent in its Rotax engines, with no detrimental effects.
As for clutch slip with too much oil, that is something I have not heard of, however I have heard of clutches being near the end of their life slipping either the plates or the springs, also if they are incorrectly adjusted.
While pulling the lever in and letting it back out watch the end by the engine to see if it moves smoothly.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i did find the reciept for the oil change and it looks like semi-synth car oil has been used.
that could be the prob,am also going to check adjustment to see if that makes a difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts