Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is prompted by an article by Jeremy Clarkson in The Times today.

He is reflecting on a south african experience he had last week, the upshot of which he says bikers get what they deserve when they are killed. Bikers perform a valuable public service in that when they kill themselves their organs can be donated to people who deserve them, and finally, but worst of all, he suggests that the bikers dead body should be left at the side of the road, like roadkill, to serve as a warning to others.

All this as a prelude to a review of a car!!!!

It seemed utterly gratuetous and unnecessary.

It's actually left me feeling quite upset. My wife and eldest daughter can read the article just as Im about to go out for a ride out into the countryside this afternoon.

And it got me wondering if it really is so ok to be that utterly sickeningly offensive to bikers and their families and loved ones.

Im not in any way into restricting peoples right to express themselves or their opinions and am very much against unwarrented and unnecessary censorship but I seriously doubt the paper would have included this opinion if it related to an ethnic minority group for example.

Would The Times really have printed an article by one of their journalists saying the west-indian and other kids currently shooting each other in drug wars deserve to die, but at least their organs can be donated to 'decent' people, and their dead bodies should have been left on the streets and in the middle of that ice rink to serve as a warning to others?

I dont think so.

Can you imagine the furore there would be from the families, politicians, community groups, race relations groups?

But its ok to say what you like about bikers and their families apparently.

I'm off out to enjoy the lovely bends and twisty bits essex has to offer. I'm putting the article out of my head because I need to think about my ride, comming home to my family, and switch on all my senses to hyperdrive to keep myself safe from various 2 tonne weapons of bodily destruction driven by 'proper' 'decent' people, blind to everything on the road except the front of their bonnet; or kids who think they are above the law and can do what they like on the road and who, if they did perchance to see me, would only see an organ doner anyhow, not a 'real' person.

On my ride outs I have at various times stopped to assist a range of people, including car drivers.

I'd quite like to meet Mr. Clarkson this afternoon !

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Hmmmm.
I'd also read that Clarkson doesn't really mean what he says. His interview in Bike magazine back along seem to suggest that he just says these things to wind his other oppo's Hamster and May up.
I haven't read the article, but IMHO if its as you say then I think that goes too far. Depends if its humorous or not as well though I guess, even so its taking things too far in my opinion.
As a slight aside I see that MAG have got a new publicity person on board who's an ex chief constable or something like that. The future looks quite interesting for MAG and maybe they can start to voice their displeasure at prats like Clarkson.

·
Banned
98 Posts
the upshot of which he says bikers get what they deserve when they are killed. Bikers perform a valuable public service in that when they kill themselves their organs can be donated to people who deserve them, and finally, but worst of all, he suggests that the bikers dead body should be left at the side of the road, like roadkill, to serve as a warning to others.
Depends if its humorous or not as well though I guess
Hah, hah...Hah! Really funny, that was....:| Now where's those instructions on making bombs I was lookin' at? :violent2:

S

·
0 Posts
Trouble is Clarkson lives for 'shock' value, it's his meal ticket. today it's bikers, tommorrow it will be caravans and yesterday it was BMW drivers hogging the fast lane. I tend to think of him as an entertainer rather than a journalist and as such I have to accept that sometimes his 'jokes' are in bad taste.
The basis of his angst is power rangers on super sports bikes racing past his sleepy cotswold cottage, and in that I can sympathise with him.
I firmly believe anyone can say what they like and half the problems with'Great'(?) Britain is an over zealous case of political correctness. The best response to this would be a suitably sarcastic response to the editor suggesting possible punishments to motorist journo's who act/talk/write total bollocks:D
Don't let us lot join the whinging masses complaining about persecution (spell?) Rise above Alpslapper matey, we know we're right:D

·
Banned
98 Posts
I don't like "PC" at the best of times, but I just don't like being wished dead and left in the gutter by some caveman car head either! disgust Then people wonder why I show the same disdain back at car drivers?! :violent3:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
I don't like "PC" at the best of times, but I just don't like being wished dead and left in the gutter by some caveman car head either! disgust Then people wonder why I show the same disdain back at car drivers?! :violent3:
But don't you go round in circles of hate then? I don't hate Clarkson and I don't hate car drivers. I'm a car driver too, my wife's a car driver. I don't hate her. I love motorcycling however and choose to do most of my travelling using this method. I respect all road users, I have no more right to the space on the road than they do.
I think Clarkson went too far in this article but I really need to read it to be honest before passing comment.

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
When it comes to expressing opinions on bike matters Clarkson's a tit. In fact when it comes to expressing opinions on any matter Clarkson's a tit. Can't stand the fella, or the other two for that matter :thebirdman:

S

·
0 Posts
Mad mav matey, it wasn't 'car drivers' who wished you dead in the gutter, it was some over opinionated arse off the telly;) Your distain should be aimed at pompous journos.

·
Banned
98 Posts
The same goes for car drivers and their complete contempt for bikers. Besides, when I say car drivers I mean those who soley drive cars (I have a car license myself, although I haven't driven one since I passed). From experience the majority of those who only have car licences and who have absolutely no experience of motorcycles whatsoever (like my old boss) have an arrogant and ignorant attitude that bikers are some sorta sub-class of motorist, drivers who're sub-standard in their capabilities. Ironic considering that it takes a lot more driving skill to ride a motorcycle than it does to drive a car! Now those are the ones I talk about when I say "car drivers", ones like Clarkson.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Mad mav matey, it wasn't 'car drivers' who wished you dead in the gutter, it was some over opinionated arse off the telly;) Your distain should be aimed at pompous journos.
Had the same attitude when going for driving jobs and the boss has seen me arrive on a motorcycle. And i overheard my old boss saying that he was expecting me to crash the vans 'cause I was a biker. :angry7: Then there's the cuttin' yah up as if you don't exist.

·
Registered
230 Posts
He is a pompous arse - but entitled to his opinion and always remember it is just HIS opinion which seems more worthless as years pass and he rants at the slightest thing - off to watch Top Gear now:D and laugh at their foolishness.

·
Stone Crazy
5,307 Posts
Clarkson is a pompous **** at the best of times, but as you say if he had made these comments about black kids shooting each other he would have been sacked and his career would have been finished, i hope he one day grows up and realises the advantages of a bike, I have a car licence and HGV I travel around europe and do see some burkes on bikes. like last summer in belgium one sports biker wheelying doen a slip rioad at about seventy into the ring road traffic. and the couple in holland, rider t shirt shorts, pillion bikini top and shorts , doing a 3 figure speed on the motorway
merv

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I'd drafted my letter to the Press Complaints Commission when I discovered they don't deal with matters of taste and decency :rolleyes:

As someone - squirrelciv I think - said best just 'rise above it'.

I must be feeling particulalry sensitive today - normally I wouldnt let such claptrap get to me. We're exposed to anti bike prejudice in all its forms on a daily basis. But for some reason, Clarkson's article really got to me this morning.

Partly my fault - I really dont like the guy or his opinions and hypocracy - (doesnt like his rural idyl being disturbed by bikes but extols the virtues of some austin martin thing with pipes that can be heard two miles away), so why I was reading his article I dont know :confused:.

·
Banned
98 Posts
I'd drafted my letter to the Press Complaints Commission when I discovered they don't deal with matters of taste and decency :rolleyes:
They'd listen if he was wishing blacks dead and left on the side of the road. :mad:

I must be feeling particulalry sensitive today
I don't think Clarkson even knows the meaning of the word "sensitive". To say he hates motorcycles is one thing, 'cause everyone's entitled to their opinions, but to wish all bikers dead and left in the gutter is asking for a visit from the local biker gang, if you get my drift? ;) :D

But for some reason, Clarkson's article really got to me this morning.
It must've been wishing you dead and left on the side of the road that did it....

Partly my fault - I really dont like the guy or his opinions and hypocracy - (doesnt like his rural idyl being disturbed by bikes but extols the virtues of some austin martin thing with pipes that can be heard two miles away), so why I was reading his article I dont know :confused:.
I think he should stick to his stretch Fiat Pandas, the :knob:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
umm don't want to defend JC particularly and their have been threads on him before but I read the article this morning and although I bridled a bit at the tone of some of the bits, what I thought he was saying was that seeing a dead body at the side of the road caused by a motoring accident was very very sobering and caused him to reflect on his driving, in particular the amount of risk he was prepared to take,eg when overtaking and how as a result he was more prepared for the unexpected. There was then a spurious link to the car review which I didn't finish so I may possibly have missed the point. But, the fact it was a biker just allowed him to have his usual "pop"at motorcyclists and I suspect editorial licence here, it could just as easily have been a black guy who had been runover (the story was from South Africa) but due to a fear of accusations of racism he turned the story into a biker and allowed JC his usual anti-biker rants and pad the story out with provocative statements. I suspect if he could read this thread he would be the one who is laughing as I don't believe for a second he actually means most of what he says or writes.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
that stretch limo thing was feckin funny:cool: :D

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
'Twas. :)

(And Billie was nice too. :D)

I'm just thinking for a bit, what with his approach to driving, JC wouldn't really last very long on a bike in traffic, now would he? At least, if the whole act he puts on is anywhere near reality... :roll:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts