Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short story.

I always fancied a canoe, and have quite a few places locally where I could use one.

Had a mate over this weekend, and it has re-ignited an urge to get one, as he seems to fancy the idea of getting one too.

I'm a bit of a lardy, with low fitness levels, and little interest in the gym, so I reckon it would do me good if this is a hobby I can get into.

Some quick questions.

I actually fancy an open-topped Canadian style canoe, so that if anyone else wants to jump in they can, and so I can carry a crate of pies with me.
Are there any benefits or problems associated with them??

I'll need to invest in a roof rack I guess.

What other kit is essential or beneficial?

I'm on the coast with easy access to the sea and some nice sedate rivers, am I correct in assuming I could use a Canadian style canoe in both?

Do I need a licence?

I will need to finance this by selling something else, but am actively scouring eBay at the moment. It seems like I can get something decent for anywhere between £250-£400 second hand. Is that reasonable?

Any makes that I should aim for or avoid? Coleman, Old Town, Pelican, and Euro Kayaks are the ones that seem to interest me.

Anybody got one for sale??

All info appreciated.

Cap'n Pugwash :happy6:

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
everytime i put my feckin great shoes on:D:D:D

go for one of the open top style ones .you can carry all you need for the day in those:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Canadian type is no good for the sea unless it is dead calm but they are the better option as you can take extra people in them with all your gear (OK beer)and have a real relaxed paddle up the Arun and drift slowly back (always best to go upstream first makes the homewood trip easyier ).
:thumbup:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Open canoes are IMO the best way to travel a river. On the sea they're great so long as there's not too much surf and there's not too much wind, specially with 1 person- sit in the back and the front comes out the water. Couple that with a gust of wind and you won't be pointing where you want to! If you get caught up in surf an open canoe could be very interesting also, can't imagine it to be much fun.

On rivers they're dead good, head out with a friend in the front and a crate of beer in the middle and job's a good un. Make sure you get a hat to keep the sun off, knee pads can be handy if you prefer kneeling. Careful with paddle length (though I can't help beyond that, not sure what's correct for an open canoe). A Bouyancy aid is a advisable, though admittedly not very cool. Training is also advisable, though if your friend does it he should be able to give you a few pointers. Don't head out alone, preferably ever, but certainly not for the first few trips you do.

Training does exist, licenses normally aren't needed though access to some rivers can be questionable and only done by license or even not at all- get in touch with your local kayaking/canoeing group to find out. Fishermen can get very antsy, cross on the opposite side to them and always be curteous.

In some ways it's rather like green laning on a motorbike- friends are good and make the experience better, be curteous to others you meet and sometimes it's not allowed to paddle a river.

The more people you have the harder work it'll be- so before you let 3 kids in the middle bear in mind you'll be travelling a lot slower than if it was just you or you and someone else. (open canoe 2 up is probably the fastest way to paddle).

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
Mad River Explorer 16'.:thumbup:.

Been lookin for one all winter :( . The plan is Canoe Camping !!!.:D:D:D.

Windamere , lake district or a decent sized river will do, ( Anywhere thats legal !!) although there is plenty of scope for this type of thing in Scotland....as far as i know.:thumbup:.

Good luck Bob.;).

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
British Canoe Union and Canoe England - Find A Club or Centre

I used to be Chairman of the club in Leighon Buzzard, but that was more sprint and marathon racing, but also had members who raced in the Canadians. Coleman do a good one, but my advice would be to get some tution on how to paddle correctly, it ain't just a matter of buy a canoe, jump in and off we go ! but thats the train spotter in me :confused:

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Mad River Explorer 16'.:thumbup:.

Been lookin for one all winter :( . The plan is Canoe Camping !!!.:D:D:D.

Windamere , lake district or a decent sized river will do, ( Anywhere thats legal !!) although there is plenty of scope for this type of thing in Scotland....as far as i know.:thumbup:.

Good luck Bob.;).
Better tell Vader about this little baby ! 500kg payload,no final drive.Perfect for two up camping .Plus he could drop it in the water a Benfleet and paddle to work at the Dome too ? Owzat sound Pete ?:D:D:D

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
You could go native american indian and just cut down a tree and hollow it out.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get a Kayack and get in the white water for a bit of exitement. :thumb: :cool:

Flat water can be sooooooooooo boring. :rolleyes:

All depends if you take a girly, a nice picnic hamper, and some vino dunnit!! :lol:

White water is DEFINITELY NOT what I'm after. A leisurely paddle taking in the sights on a sunny day, and something interesting enough to make me do a bit of exercise is what I need.

Canoe camping sounds right up my street, but then so does knowing what way round to hold a paddle as well!!!

Keep it coming peeps

Thanks

Grizzly Adams :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
have done loads of canoeing years ago touring, canoe camping anf a few marathons (100km & 135km).
i used to go with this lot http://www.canoecampingclub.co.uk. very helpfull easy going loads of advice and help. the group used to consist of mainly mature adults who also liked a good laugh.
canadian canoes are a bit trick to handle solo but excelent for two up and canoe camping i would not recomend the for sea or estuary work as conditions can change so quickly and cause serious problems (sinking).
i would not really recomend sea canoeing for any novices as tides and current have been responsible for most of the news worthy accidents and incidents.
a bit of tuition is essensial the enjoy the freedom and fun:thumbleft::thumbleft:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to put your minds at rest, I don't think I'd be sea canoeing unless it was dead-calm, and even then I'd only risk within 50 metres of the beach I reckon.

There are some nice rivers near me where I reckon I could have a paddle, although they are tidal.

:toothy3:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Warning...... IMHO Canoeing is one of those things that look and sound better than the experience. A few years ago I bought 4 kayaks for £50 with all the (dated) gear from a nice man who wanted them to go to nice family who get as much pleasure as his family had. Like you I was full of dreams about kayaking along the local river and the canal, taking them up to the lake district etc. A new lifestyle loomed. The actual experience is that it is mostly cold, wet, harder work than expected, and pain in the neck to get the boats on top of the car especially when cold and tired. We used them about half a dozen times, tops. They then cluttered up the garage for a few years before I flogged them at a modest profit.

I have since been given a home made wooden/fibre glass open canoe that is a thing of beauty but needs some tidying to restore to full glory. I have used it once and it now clutters up the drive.

In short make sure you really do like it before comitting too much money.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
oh no dont start the canoe or kayak debate!!!..... :mad:

Kymmy is a kayak fan and well i'm definatly in the canoe camp, had few different ones in the past and they all have good and bad points but until you nail down what you want to do with it you wont get the best out of any.

I loved the Ram-x 17 by Coleman, simple light and fairly indistructable... its now made under licence by Pelican but its the same canoe. its not that well liked with the 'tech' freaks as its old hat (20+ years!) but then tech is no help when your sitting at bottom of a lake is it! Ram-x's fetch a premium on fleabay especially this time of year, you should have bought in october when people were getting shot for the winter.

I had a couple of composite canoes and have to say they were cheap and ok, they also were heavy (too heavy for a cheap roof rack!) and you needed to take care of them so not something i would buy again.

Another option that you should consider is inflateable, a GOOD QUALITY one is not cheap (look for hypalon like the Soar16) and solve transport issues and is much easier to get along with for 'pleasure' paddling and sport use too...

if your looking to just roam you could look at a hypalon dingy too, way more space and go for silly cheap prices on fleabay, if you willing to do a bit of TLC you can virtually get them for free!

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
A lot of guys do it at work but they use inflatables ( river stuff only of course) they go for 30-50 miles sometimes up and down the canals and the nene and the ouse, deflate and pop it on the back of the bike and away they go.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right, we've touched on a few things that are making me think.

Q: Is it a hobby that will last? A: This is the one that worries me the most, as I am quite impulsive and don't always think things out. I'd hate for it to sit in the garage next to the mountain bike, RC helicopter and other stuff that never gets used!

Q: Kayak or Canoe? A: Well I did canoeing at school believe it or not, back in the days when nobody could spell "Health & Safety". We used kayaks and used to canoe in Surrey Docks, although we were also taken through a tube next to lock gates, which took us out into the Thames!!
A small "incident" I had back then means I will definitely be opting for an open top/Canadian canoe.

Q: Inflatable or Solid? A: Hmmmmm, well a mate of mine, who proably knows as much about canoeing as I do said to me "DON'T get an inflatable they're $HIT" so I sorta believed him! I see the benefits of inflatable, but I think I'd prefer a "real" hull.

I had sortof considered the transportation dilemma, and deided after reading a few eBay ads that I could get away with roof bars on my VW Golf, but now I'm not sure?!?!?!

Storage was something I HAD NOT considered. I wouldn't be able to put it inside, so would storing a fiberglass one outside be OK??

I think I'm gonna stew on it for a little while now, but these are the sort of things I was looking at...

BOAT 1

BOAT 2

BOAT 3

Opinions please!

:toothy3:

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts