Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips? ! Removed 5 bolts and 2 nuts, looked and looked again but can't see any other bolts but it refuses to budge!
Am bashing it hard as I dare with a rubber mallet and block of wood with small lump hammer. Won't move!! Any help gratefully received.....
- Steve

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
dont know the XL at all so this might be cobblers, but cylinder heads in general;
may have a wedging point(s)
have a close look around the joint, there might be a thicker gap maybe 1/2" wide looking like someones hammered a screwdriver into it, but its supposed to be there and thats not what your supposed to do, you could wedge it apart gently with an old screwdriver but dont force it or use a hammer.

may have a jacking thread in the head (although ive never seen one on a bike) a threaded hole in the head that doesnt correspond to any hole in the block, the idea being you wind one of the head bolts down it and it jacks off the head

a small head like a single might have neither of these, whats keeping it on? a missed bolt/nut would be obvious, they dont hide them. there might be an oil tube or sleeved bore that sticks up between the two, so it has to come off straight? have you tried heat/cold?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah panic over, there was indeed a hidden bolt! Was under a weird little cover between the inlet valves, most odd. Will post a pic tomorrow!

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Ah panic over, there was indeed a hidden bolt! Was under a weird little cover between the inlet valves, most odd. Will post a pic tomorrow!
a missed bolt/nut would be obvious, they dont hide them.
or maybe they do then! strange, must be a reason for it

·
They say I talk too much.
334 Posts
Ah panic over, there was indeed a hidden bolt! Was under a weird little cover between the inlet valves, most odd.
You're not the first to miss it and you won't be the last :happy3:

Neat little trick:
Make a rough drawing on cardboard of the head with all the bolts. Pinch holes for the bolts and stick them through.
Keep them that way while you work on the cylinder. And use the same cardboard every time you need to take the head off, so you'll know how many bolts there are.
Works for me :thumbleft:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts