Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Wondering around Tesco like a zombie as usual, I stumbled on this - Garmin Drive 50 LMT Travel Edition with Worldwide maps at £85. I know it wont be water proof and fiddly to use perhaps, but at £85 its a shed load cheaper than a bike Nav?:thumbright:

Anyone tried this out? Perhaps in a pouch for weather proofing?

Just wondering if it's a good idea??? :D Worldwide maps for £85? Ive seen the TomTom Riders over £300 :(

im.jpg

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Simply bring a ziplock bag for when it rains. I've been using automotive GPS for years and love them. If you want to be a able to use free OSM maps, get a Garmin, preferably w/ a SDD slot. If you want to get ripped off, get a TomTom. Maps are as expensive as the GPS itself.

Free routable OSM maps
Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap

Lee

·
Registered
188 Posts
I used to use a TomTom Go730 both in the car and on the bike.
I bought a strap on waterproof pouch for about £15 and some Ram mount bits and turned it into a Ram-ball bar mounted pouch.
It worked really well for 4 years until the zip broke on it last year.

The only problems I encountered were:
  1. Feeding the charger cable into the pouch was a pain. Putting it through the zip meant there was a gap so it was no longer waterproof. The water resistant rubber hole was not big enough for the cable USB end to fit through so instead I ended up cutting the cable, threading it through and soldering it back together.
  2. Inputting the destinations could sometimes be a pain. The touch screen was often touched in several places due to the pouch window flexing and making contact and sometimes it was quite tricky to get it to register a touch. My solution was to simply stop when you needed to input new destinations and take it out of the pouch and put it back in when you were finished.
At that price I'd say go for it.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
The only thing I'd add to this is the car ones all have a shiny glossy screen whereas the bike specific ones have a mat finish which helps when the sun is shining (on those rarer occasions !!)

I have a glass roof on my car and when I use the Garmin (car one) and it's sunny I have to close over the roof blind as I can't see the instructions due to glare

Reactions: Dave H

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can get dedicated waterproof holders with bar mounts that work quite well.
I think I have one spare if interested?
Ooooo! Sounds great can you pm me please? Off to the Footie today (One of those all-day events) so will be tomorrow responding - Thanks :thumbright::iconbiggrin: Typical, lovely sunny day - should be out on the bike!! (Damn you friends with your free tickets, meal and beer :iconbiggrin:)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used to use a TomTom Go730 both in the car and on the bike.
I bought a strap on waterproof pouch for about £15 and some Ram mount bits and turned it into a Ram-ball bar mounted pouch.
It worked really well for 4 years until the zip broke on it last year.

The only problems I encountered were:
  1. Feeding the charger cable into the pouch was a pain. Putting it through the zip meant there was a gap so it was no longer waterproof. The water resistant rubber hole was not big enough for the cable USB end to fit through so instead I ended up cutting the cable, threading it through and soldering it back together.
  2. Inputting the destinations could sometimes be a pain. The touch screen was often touched in several places due to the pouch window flexing and making contact and sometimes it was quite tricky to get it to register a touch. My solution was to simply stop when you needed to input new destinations and take it out of the pouch and put it back in when you were finished.
At that price I'd say go for it.
Wise words, never thought of those things. But, yes I do think it's worth it for this price. Might be fiddly, and I get that its tricky to touch the screen with gloves etc, but the Rider Navs are so expensive.
Thanks very much :)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing I'd add to this is the car ones all have a shiny glossy screen whereas the bike specific ones have a mat finish which helps when the sun is shining (on those rarer occasions !!)

I have a glass roof on my car and when I use the Garmin (car one) and it's sunny I have to close over the roof blind as I can't see the instructions due to glare
Ah! yes, another thing I didn't think of - I can start to see why the Rider Navs are more.

·
Administrator
1,776 Posts
Another point, made particularly by the manufacturers (!), is that bike-specific units are more robustly built, to stand vibration etc. They certainly seem to be a bit less flimsy than car units.

But you can afford to break a few car units for the price of one bike GPS ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
there are always bargains on Ebay also

like this Garmin zumo for 99 euro (buy it now) and it comes with a warranty.. if google translate is accurate!!
Garmin zumo 400 Motorradtouren Motorrad Navigationssystem mit Tasten /550 | eBay

I have had my zumo for 7/8 years roughly.... with Nuvimaps lifetime updates... it handles calls for me also when on the bike
amazing bit of kit... and built to take vibration, and a few drops... also can be used with a giant wet bike glove!!!

I also transfer it to the car with the extra windscreen mount and car charger... so can be used in both places.. unlike cars ones which are only good in cars.

my two cent.!!

·
Registered
7,711 Posts

They work well enough, but IMHO nothing beats the convenience of a dedicated bike sat nav on a powered mount, expensive but look at it as a longterm investment, particularly if you have free map updates.

A pic of my used mount, I wouldn't full trust the mounting clip so use a lanyard or something as a backup.
The outer plastic touching the 'nav screen can be sorted by cutting a bit of foam around the nav to pack the cover off and tighten things up a bit. They can steam up a bit in damp weather but do work well enough as a budget option.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the comments everyone and thanks Phil for the offer of the pouch (I've pm'd you):thumb:

Got chatting to a mate and decided that my phone does a not-bad job in an emergency / cant find B&B, but I am tempted to agree that an actual Bike Nav will be far better for the reasons explained and also if I can get one on eBay for another £20 / £30 then it's got to be worth the extra rather than faff around :D

Also thought when touring or away for a weekend, dont need another 'DIY' solution; having the right kit (ish) would be far better. Example: Ive never bought a top box, always messed around with soft luggage and dozens of bungee's which is a pain strapping to the bike each morning - you'd think I'd learn by now........ :thumb::thumb:

Cheers for reply's everyone :D:D

·
Registered
175 Posts
so true.. was laughing at the memory of at least 4/5 packs of bungees on the back of my bike on my first bike holiday... the most intricate web of bungees connected to every single point on the bike.. LOL... couldnt get anything off without 3 or four snapping back and smacking me in the knuckles

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so true.. was laughing at the memory of at least 4/5 packs of bungees on the back of my bike on my first bike holiday... the most intricate web of bungees connected to every single point on the bike.. LOL... couldnt get anything off without 3 or four snapping back and smacking me in the knuckles
Yes, exactly!!! Meanwhile your smug topbox mates are half way down the road laughing :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts