Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havnt posted on this page for a while as I havnt been using my Dommie due to other bikes taking up my spare time.
My flatside carb sounds like it needs a bit of adjustment and I am not an expert on them.
The plug was sooty black so I wound the air mixture out a full turn and this is how the bike sounds right now.(not as bad as it was)
If I can get the carb sorted so the bike dont sound so rough I can start riding it on a dialy basis before winter arrives.
I would appreciate any advice to be had from you chaps.:thumbup:

https://youtu.be/W3YPAd-ntb8

If I cant get it to run any smoother I will take the flatside off and put my standard carb back on and sell the flatside as summer is almost over and my latest project needs a bit more work.:(:(:(

20632676_1896320250383983_409543575_n.jpg 20668020_1896320180383990_155261776_n.jpg
I had to sell my CX500 because my current project is going to have lots of expensive parts fitted that will probably cost over £1000....:happy2::happy2::happy2:

·
Registered
942 Posts
here we go again,
are you checking your plug after a good run when the engine is fully warmed up , 5 miles or so ?
that adjuster isn't an air screw its a fuel screw , turning it out makes the pilot mixture richer not leaner,
it will only affect the running up to about 1/8 throttle if you think its too rich at very small throttle openings turn it in not out,
when the engine is fully warmed up 5 miles or so if you blip the throttle what do the revs do ?
revs hang up high before gradually dropping down - pilot setting too lean unwind pilot fuel screw
revs drop below normal tickover or stalls before gradually rising to normal tickover - pilot adjustment too rich turn fuel screw in

generally how does it run out on the road

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
here we go again,
You know I am useless at carbs Nick.
I have only ridden it up the road 500m and back and I didnt like the way it was behaving and that sooted up the brand new plug so it hasnt really had a good run.
I just dont trust it to go far away from my flat and then have to push the bugger home.(Not with my Asthma):cyclops::cyclops::cyclops:
You have seen the video Nick and I dont like the way it pops every time I twist and close the throttle.:(:(:(
I have the fuel mix set at 1 turn out and it wont even start
So you reckon I should be winding the fuel mix thing in because I am getting totally confused and you seem to be the only one in this forum who knows about these carbs I certainly dont I think its called carblexia...:D:D:D
I cant take it for a long run because I dont have plates for it and if I do, my neighbours will grass me up to the feds.
Now I will have to charge the battery up because I just flattened it trying to start it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
you cant set up a carb on a cold engine , 200 yards up the road is not enough, you need to ride it 10-15 mins to get it properly warmed up,
you cant tell anything from revving up a cold engine its not going to behave like an engine thats up to temp
i expect the plug is sooty because you've only just knocked the choke off,
its probably popping because the engine is still cold and you've knocked the choke off, cold engines are running lean , lean carburation causes popping

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How many turns out should the easy jet thing be and I will take it for a ride once I have taken the exhaust system off tomorrow when all the neighbours are at work,get rid of the heat wrap and make sure the system is air tight?
I have it 1 1/2 turns out, is that enough?
I ran the engine without he choke for about 10 minutes to get it warmed up and it seems to have calmed down a little but it still wont tick over and it still pops.
It ticks over about 1500 rpm and then a pop will stall it.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
942 Posts
start off with fuel screw 1 1/2 - 2 turns out , after about 5 miles pull over and set tickover at 1300,
give the throttle a blip and note how the revs return to 1300,
if they hang high before dropping back to 1300 then pilot setting is lean , unwind screw half a turn and try again until revs drop straight to tickover ,
if revs drop below 1300 then creep up to 1300 then pilot setting is too rich, wind fuel screw in half a turn to lean mixture and try again,
when your happy with the way revs return reset tickover to about 1500 and pull away slowly, does it run ok at small throttle openings ?
then try rolling along in 2nd gear at 15mph and whack the throttle open , does the bike take off like a scalded cat ? mine does and its very addictive :D
the pilot circuit has very little effect on how the bike runs above 1/8 throttle

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that Nick.:thumbup:
I am going to take the exhaust off tomorrow to get rid of the heat wrap and seal it up so there are no leaks and then go for a ride on it and get it nice and warm.
I take it the tick over can be adjusted by the knurled knob next to the easyjet knob or is it some place else?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did you get out for a test ride today ?
The weather was too bad to go for a test ride.
I will take the exhaust off tomorrow and seal it up...
There is a huge field at the bottom of my garden so as soon as the farmer has harvested it which might be any day this week , I will take the bike on there away from nosey neighbours and give it a good shake down.
If the tickover adjuster is the knurled knob next to the easyjet, nothing is happening and it is wound in as far as it can go.
Maybe I can adjust the tickover at the cable?
My £700 worth of parts should have been shipped today by courier and could be here before the weekend so I want to get the Dommie carb spot on so I can focus on putting my latest project back together.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I took the Dommie exhaust off today and had to fabricate a link pipe to join the two pipes together.
I used lots of exhaust snot on the joint and everything is air tight.
I set the fuel/air screw to 1 3/4 turns out but the bike seems to not want to tick over.
The popping and backfiring has stopped so all I need to do is take it out for a test ride....
I ordered a new Amal premier carb today so as soon as all my other parts arrive I can start re-building the Triumph engine.
I still have to thinkabout whether to go with a belt drive or just put the chain on, which type of electronic ignition and coils ,what type of exhaust pipes and then I can get the rear wheel sorted..
My original £1000 budget has been passed but I dont care, I have got my dream bike almost sorted apart from putting it all back together...
I wonder if it will start on the third kick like my other Triumph project did after I finished it.:happy2::happy2::happy2:

·
Registered
942 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just watched the video and I had forgotten how easy it is to install an electronic ignition.
I will order mine once I am further into the re-build.:thumbup:
Does your Trumpet start first time every time now?.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Because they originally came with 6 volt electrics?? and there are 6v electronic ignition units to suit...

I just spoke with my parts guy and he says 6 volt coils are fine with a 12 v ignition..

I just took my Dommie for its fitst test ride..:happy2::happy2::happy2:
Holy crap what have I done..:D:D:D
Its an absolute brute of a bike that scared the life out of me, I need to learn how to control the throttle a bit better because as Nick in Brum says, taking off in second gear from 15mph is quite fun..
By the time I got home I was sweating like a goodun and it wasnt due to the heat...;););)
I just need to pump the tyres up a bit as the bike felt a bit soft in the rear end.:thumbup:

·
Registered
942 Posts
I just took my Dommie for its fitst test ride..:happy2::happy2::happy2:
Holy crap what have I done..:D:D:D
Its an absolute brute of a bike that scared the life out of me, I need to learn how to control the throttle a bit better because as Nick in Brum says, taking off in second gear from 15mph is quite fun..
that sounds more positive , now throw a big bore high comp piston in it :D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
that sounds more positive , now throw a big bore high comp piston in it :D
Nah, maybe some new tyres and some Honda stickers on the tank, now its all hands on deck to get this Trumpet up and running...
Probably going to go the same ignition set up as you did Nick.
I found a pair of pipes for sale from a bloke who bought some but changed his mind and never used them...He has TR6 like mine, a T100 like someone else I know and he has an early Bonnie.I am borrowing jnrs XS400 on sunday to go see what else he has got coz he has been riding Triumphs for 50 yrs and has got loads of spares for sale.

179400562_906_1024_0_0_0_0_4.jpg

i want these headers too.

176682951_906_1024_0_0_0_0_4.jpg

He wants about £300 for everything in the second photo but I just want the headers and the other pipes.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts