Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Have invested in morgan carbtune vacuum gauges and have balanced the carbs with difficulty using a flexible drive screwdriver , but it was not ideal .

Any one know where i could obtain a 90 degree drive screwdriver to access the adjustment screw easier .

Any idea's or tool suppliers details would be welcomed .

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I think we all struggle trying to get the carbs balanced.
But as it does not require doing very often it is not worth the hassle of having a special screwdriver for it as the tool will be redundant most of the time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
the trick is to remove the fueltank, mount a small fuel cannister on your handle bar , and use a long screwdriver from the top of the air intake (it has a special hole for this purpose :thumbup:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry Hurbie but I think what you say applies to the Transalp and maybe the RD03 and RD04? For the RD07 and 7a the adjuster screw faces downwards and can only be got at from below, i.e. in the very hot V of the engine. I tried a stubby screwdriver but found there wasn't room for both my hand and the screwdriver so instead ended up using a crosshead screwdriver bit, mounted in a suitable size socket and bar. This worked, but its still not easy.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
I bought one for just that job from an Irish Company called Red Tools - they were selling them 2 yrs ago at the Classic Bike Show in Stafford for £10

Rt angled with a geared drive - great kit and perfect for the job.

Google Red Tools

or www. Redtools.ie

I think

·
Registered
485 Posts
you know- I have a set of tengtools. They might do the trick and are really useful for other parts around the bike also. They would stop your hands from getting burnt in the tight area also.

Just googled a picture

That might do the trick. Think they are around £32.00 odd

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I just use a very long screwdriver at an angle, the adjuster is only spring loaded so very easy to turn with no chance of damaging the screw. My current screwdriver of choice is sitting next to my keyboard for some forgotten reason. It is a Stanley 3mm slotted type with the number 67-416 printed on it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I use a 3mm slotted Stanley Magnum 067 418. Its about 9 inches long and used at an angle it works fine for me too. The balancing tool I use is a bit naff tho and I'd prefer some proper gauges. Mine has rods....\

Good luck with yours Spanish Steve.

·
Banned
273 Posts
you know- I have a set of tengtools. They might do the trick and are really useful for other parts around the bike also. They would stop your hands from getting burnt in the tight area also.

Just googled a picture

That might do the trick. Think they are around £32.00 odd
Do you have a model number for these? look useful for a onboard tool kit.

Cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got a set free with a magazine subscription. They are great for an on board tool kit. Mine lives in my luggage for trips away. Looks like a BBX 20. Toolshack are the distributers I think. They have a good website and looks like they are reduced in price currently.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts