Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Does anyone know of a reputable garage/dealer in the South West who will balance carbs. Unfortunately most of the well known dealers in the area take great pleasure in taking your money, but do not take the same great pleasure in your bike. Also does the choke operation have to be working correctly before this can be done.

Thanks
JB1

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
So you are in Wiltshire? I am in Gloucestershire, which in theory may not too be far way from you. A few local tips from my (limited) experience:

-: For starters, don't go to Fowlers in Bristol. I could make a rhyme about them with words like "beyond belief" and "arrogant thief" in it, but it would only spoil my mood.
-: I have a "warm feeling" about Bransons in Gloucster (not "warm" like in "taking the piss" or anything, they seem honest and dedicated peeps, although I have only bought parts from them so far).

I have balanced the carbs myself a few times using vacuum testers, it is not overly difficult so you could do it yourself. If you want a bit of assistence and/or just use the vacuum-tester: My un-official dealership is in Dursley / Cotswolds and prices are refreshingly cheap (a can of lager would go a long way :wink: ). I have also had some successful battles with the choke mechanism.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
You can't balance carbs with a stuck choke unless they are both stuck in exactly the same position.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the info, much appreciated. Robelst, where abouts are you? I'm just off jnc 17 of the M4

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
For the labour cost you will be paying out to a shop I would look at the Morgan Carbtune. Made by Mr. Morgan himself over there in the UK.

It's basically a manometer based on stainless steel rods in plastic columns. He makes a 2 column model (twins) for 40 GBP which is the one
I own. To be honest I have never used it on my AT, but I'm sure it would work excellent as our AT has loads of vacum. I have used it on my gspd which has a weak vacum, but it still did the job.

http://www.carbtune.com/

Pic is of the 4 column model.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
JB1 said:
Thanks guys for the info, much appreciated. Robelst, where abouts are you? I'm just off jnc 17 of the M4
Mmmm (...counting junctions...): That'll be Chippenham-ish?

We are in Dursley, from junction 17 that'd be Malmesbury / Tetbury / (Wotton-u-e), Dursley/Cam. About 25 miles on nice little roads.
Or quite a few more if you take the boring but possibly quicker M4 / M5 , jnc 14 /A38 rout.

Whenever you want to work on the bike and if you want to meet up here to break...erm, fix it ;) , just send me a PM 8)

·
Registered
426 Posts
robelst said:
-: I have a "warm feeling" about Bransons in Gloucster (not "warm" like in "taking the piss" or anything, they seem honest and dedicated peeps, although I have only bought parts from them so far).
Let's hope they are better than Bransons of Yeovil (same company, 2 sites). The service department there are a total waste of space.

They missed some bits out of my 12k service when I got the bike. Caught them out, took it back today, they did the bits they thought they originally could get away with missing out, but bike comes back with the idle speed at 2k RPM!!!

It's the last time this particular @ will ever see a Honda dealer again, I will take on the servicing myself, save some serious $$$$ and ensure the jobs done properly...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the offer Robelst. I can pretty much do all the basics on the bike, servicing etc, but not so much the tech stuff i.e carbs, tappets etc. May give you a cal in the near future though. Thanks again

JB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts