Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got a 650xl which has been standing for around 5 years and I'm trying to get it running. It's done less then 3,000 miles from new. It would not start. I tried to drain the carbs. Green goo came out, so I removed the carbs and sprayed carb cleaner in everywhere I could until all ran clear. Still would not start. I pulled the fuel line from the tank and it was empty. No fuel getting to carbs. Removed tank, emptied and removed thick brown tar from vacuum fuel tap. Totally clogged. Put in nice new fuel and fuel flowing again. TA now starts, but stops after a short while and fuel pouring from carb overflow. I removed the carbs again. This time I removed the float bowl bottoms. Everything in there is covered in rock hard brown varnish. One of the float valves was stuck but it clicked and cleared when I moved the float. Re-assemble. Starts, but still floods then overflows.

I find removing the carbs and re-installing them quit difficult on this bike. Given the state of the varnish inside the carbs, I'd rather send them off to someone who can professionally clean and rebuild/rejet etc., then return them to me so next time I put them back on, they work first time.

Does anyone know of anywhere that offers this type of service in the UK? I'm in Guernsey, but can send to the UK quite easily.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
1,784 Posts
I agree with your comment re the difficulty of getting at the TA carbs!
I found that the float needle-valves are very sensitive, and the smallest bit of muck can cause overflow..... it took 3 or 4 attempts, blowing through with compressed air etc before I sorted mine.... and that was starting from a bike that had been in daily use and just suddenly started to overflow.
I suspect that your carbs will need treating with a solvent carb cleaner to dissolve the gunk, and ultrasonic cleaning to remove the remins from the finer passges. Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to take the plunge and rebuild these myself. Just a tip. The carb cleaner I bought did not even soften the varnish. I simmered the parts in a pot on the barbecue with 25% 'citra clean', made from oranges. After an hour, they were looking like new and smelling fresh! The running problem was that the needle value (or what I thought was the part holding the needle valves) on both carbs was varnished in place and unmovable. Jet's were also blocked. All looking really clean now and everything moves as it should, so hopefully it'll run when I put them back on.

Now, if only I could remove the fuel filter.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts