Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Finally i have installed a new Arrow can and k&n filter on my rd07.Its about time to check if carb will need new jets or tuning.Searching about this i have found some usefull info might be insteresting fo some of us.

From an article on Weber carbs.

Tuning Techniques

Clearly space precludes and exhaustive treatise. But to summarize, the only thing that a tuner is testing is the mixture strength. One can do this by the "plug cut" method (checking colour of the spark plug electrode), or analysing exhaust-gas. Use of an O2 sensor plugged into the exhaust system will certainly help the tuner (K&N make a good system), the best technique has always been the plug cut, conducted either on a dyno, or correctly on the road.

Plug-cut technique
Generally quite simple once a suitable time and place are chosen. Ensure that the correct plugs are being used, and are clean (i.e. new, or near new), with a white insulator.

Hold the RPM at the necessary level in as high a gear as possible for 10 or so seconds Then, simultaneously, foot off the gas, disengage clutch, ignition off.
Inspect the plug(s), usually one plug for each of the carburettors.
If the plugs are sooty black, then the mixture is too rich. If the colour is that of milk chocolate, it is a little to lean. If the colour of dark chocolate, then a little too rich. A good reading will have the insulator showing almost white, with just a suspicion of grey, and a plug body on the dark side, just enough to mark a piece of white paper with soot. Further interpretation of plug colour can be found elsewhere on the web, but the colour to avoid is an even battleship grey on the whole plug, electrode, insulator and body - a sure sign of detonation or pre-ignition (ignition too advanced).

regards
george

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dane,

I will take the bike for tuning tomorrow.I will post results on monday.
From what i have notice up to now with arrow and kn filter :

Without muffle:
Bike can take off from low rpm better than before.NO need to shift gear as often as before especially 4+5.
Engine is not screaming/vibrating as before also.
Its slower on acceleration and it does not pull strong on low rpm
but its must faster/stronger above 5000rpm.

With muffle:
Much faster at low rpm.It seems that back pressure is correct.
Not much difference from original can.Engine is noisy like with original can

In both above case i have notice that carb is not tuned.But its seems that is not a big problem.

I will post results on monday.Bike will be tuned by a proffesional
authorized bmw bikes engineer probably one of the the best on the island and im sure he will do a good job.At least i will know for sure if a dynojet will be needed.

george

·
Registered
890 Posts
Good post gs.

Please keep us updated with the results as there are a few ATs running about with different cans on.

Most of us probably buy the Africa knowing the engine is very strong in standard form. But, most of us like to tweak our bikes and a can is one of the easiest. If you can help with some good tuning results, it would help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dane,Shel750,

In few words:
Took the bike to the doctor.No tuning of carb needed.Checked the old spark plugs good colour/good compustion.Install new plugs same good results.O2 check done very good.Normal service done also.

Took the bike for a long ride on sunday with other AT riders just to be sure.Got some opinions for fellow experiance riders.Good,verygood comments.Arrow salesman will be happy this week.

General conclusion:
ARROW CAN/k&N FILTER
gives some(small power),good base sound,engine is not screaming vibrating at high rpm.Rider is happy.

regards
george

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks George!

I'm not looking for performance, just was not sure if I put K&N (because of easier maintenance) with Arrow can, will I need to put Dino jets. So I'll give K&N a chance :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts