Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I worrying too much? DSLR and small prime lens in a tail bag strapped to the back seat? I'd love to combine my bestest things to do - bikes and photography - but too nervous to take the camera. Not in case I drop the bike or anything, just vibrations and general bouncing about on the back.

I'd love to be talked into it if anyone has done it without any bad consequences.

If that goes well, we'll move on to tripod and long lens, but one step at a time!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
use a backpack I always put mine in a backpack then you are insulating it from the bike vibrations,The pack should not be thin fabric as that will transmit wind turbalance. I have a Lidl bike backpack and used to use a Ride freebee one from 15? years ago both light with thick fabric. A plus with a backpack is it keeps cold wind off yuor back.

·
Administrator
1,764 Posts
Mine has travelled from time to time in the tank bag ...... which is always full of spare gloves, a jumper or thin fleece etc, camera or not. The SLR seems quite happy wedged in there. No security, of course, so it's with me when I'm off the bike.

That alloy "tank box" looks bomb-proof, although I'd have thought a fair amount of padding would be needed!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, it seems like options are:

1) carry on in a backpack

Was trying to avoid this, but can see it's probably best for the camera, vibration and shock wise. I have a camera backpack thing that was bought for me but I've never used, so might give this a try.

2) bolt a pelicase to the rack

Actually, I have an old tatty pelicase I use for my cameras. I'd be happy to drill some holes and bolt them on the back. Not very mechanically inclined, so might need some guidance!

3) bung it in the tailback and stop worrying about it

4) the metal tank bag thing.

As awesome as it is, I can't see me going this route :)

If someone was to say that they put their camera in a tailback and it never worked again that might swing me towards the backpack. But if someone said they'd carried the camera in a tailback loads of times and never had a problem, i'd probably just do that.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Couldn't you bodge some kind of elasticated hammock type thing into a top box, like a couple of cargo nets to sandwich the camera between?
Having said that, I guess the more centrally it's mounted on the bike the better.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts