Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well although I have not posted for quite some time I nevertheless have been moving forward in my attempt to get myself a Dommie. A couple of months back I weathered snow and blizzards to travel just south of Paris to buy what I thought was going to be a bargain 1999 UK registered model. Unfortunately when I got there what I found was nothing like what was explained to me on the phone. To cut a long and sad story short, the bike had been stripped for use on private land and many of the road legal bits were missing. Now having travelled so far and having cash in my pocket I surprised myself by making an offer which was unfortunately accepted. :confused:

My reasoning at the time was that as the engine had only done in the region of 7000 miles and that the wheels were fitted with brand new enduro tyres. My intention was, that I might be able to rebuild it, or it would do for spares. In the cold light of day I now realise that trying to rebuild it is definitely a no no, it's not worth the expense or effort. Remember that even if I did get it up to scratch I still have the problem of getting it registered on French plates. I suppose on reflection I wish I hadn't bothered to buy it, I don't quite know what came over me, but there we have it, I now have a bike for spares.:sign6:

As I have now only just come to terms with the shock of my earlier purchase I am now starting to look again with a view to buy another, this one on French plates. My plan is should anything go amiss in the future, hopefully I will have plenty of available spares. Alternatively I could perhaps seek out a bike with a knackered engine and pop this one in. In my case perhaps "pop it in" is somewhat of an understatement. More like a week of teeth grinding and the tearing out of hair. I was also hoping that should the need arise I could change the wheels over and use enduro tyres when required.

Now I appreciate that what I have done is putting the cart before the horse but raises the question that I wish to ask.

How compatible or interchangeable are the parts on a Dommie? I'm not interested in cosmetic things and I'm not unduly worried about tanks and saddles. My main interest is in the exchange of the engine, engine parts, wheels and running gear. I would feel even more of a twerp if I got another bike and none of these bits fit. You've no idea the amount of explaining and grovelling I've had to do in front of my wife to be excused this faux pas.:shaking:

Any advice would be much appreciated.:thumbup:

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
The two major NX generations RD02 and RD08 are quite different in lots of little areas, so you'll at least be aiming for an RD08, a bike built after 1995.

I'm not sure of the differences between the various years, though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts