Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum - I've been pointed here by a fine member of BCF as I may be able to get some info. Changing my oil/filter yesterday I found a crack in the 'filter housing' (not sure of the proper name!), along with two other tiny ones. I'm told this is not uncommon and should be nothing to worry about, just keep an eye on it. I wonder though if anybody has any experience of these and what (if anything) developed later on? Also are there any other bits worth checking for similar cracks?

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Sorry no expert but I'd be as worried as you and I'd be surprised to hear it was fine.

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
Looking at it, I'd say don't worry too much. I suppose it could affect the oil pressure, or introduce metal particles into the oil, but that would have already happened, so the effects might be obvious.

I'm not familiar with the bike, but looking at the pic it looks like it's in the engine side casing, so you could just replace that casing with a cheapy from eBay maybe? Failing that, you could remove the side casing and get the cracks welded up (I did this with a BMW I once owned) in which case I've been told "Exact Weld" in East Grinstead are excellent.

Good Luck

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses, I certainly won't be forgetting all about it but I'll not panic either. I did have a go with a magnet to see what bits of metal were in the drain pan, there was only a few tiny bits which were as llikely from gears as anything really.

Thanks for the East Grinstead tip BobA, I'll see how things progress (if at all) and can call on them if I need to, I'll investigate the spare parts avenue too. :thumbup:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hi a magnet won't pick that up as it is probably mazak , i see its 09 bike do you think it could be caused by pattern filter being bit longer or over tightned is this first time you have chainged oil

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I get alot of bad castings like that from China , it's caused by damp casting case.
When the molten alli is poured into it it cools to quick in places and when it joins it's just not molten enough to meld together properly.
There will be more faults in that casting so get another.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
I'd check the oil pressure asap.
Depending what is behind the crack, you could be losing pressurised oil back to the sump.........

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again folks. The first time the oil was changed it was in the local garage as part of a general service. That filter was the right one (which I just changed) but of course I can't speak for the time before I had it.

Money's a bit tight, do you mean replace the part(s) or the bike paulc?

I'll have to read up on checking oil pressure, but I'm grateful for the pointer! :thumbup:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
I would check oil pressures and if within tolerance then personally I would stop the crack by drilling a small hole at both ends. J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts