Came across thread for 18th June
Notifying about police radars/ floro jackets to be worn by motorbike riders
Talking about protesting !! :hitler:

stay safe always keep a black visor handy
:blob3: :blob3: :blob2: :blob2

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
I'm looking into this on various french bike related sites, the major one being le repaire de motards Le Repaire des Motards : actualités essais reportages guides moto

As far as I can ascertain from official sources (local FFMC representative) the FFMC (french equivalent of the UK's MAG & FEM affiliate) are callig for mass demonstrations against the latest round of repressive legal measures aimed at motorcycles & motorcyclists.

Good oh, I hear you say... problem is that they're calling for the demonstrations on the 18th June (a date somewhat in the French history of "Liberty")

They are effectively trying to federate ALL road users from cyclists to HGV's into a national demonstration in ALL major towns & cities on Saturday the 18th.

IF this goes ahead, it may jeaopardise the success of TLD, either by simply causing chaos in Paris or by the forces of public order simply blocking motorcycle access to the city & simply NOT ALLOWING you to ride in.

I sincerely hope it won't come to that but I think you should be aware of the potential complications. I will let you know (if wanted) of any further information I recieve on this subject. (If a mod/ TLD organiser rather have that by PM than here then let me know.)

MooN

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
Moon,

Just post here, if any news please, I/We how have to let the riders know anyway

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Have just recieved a press release from the FFMC. I can post it up if wanted by those who read frog. It basically is their usual rant, but does reiterate that they are maintaining their call to demonstrate throughout the country on the 18th June.

more to follow...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi moon
More info the better for all concerned
Unsure who can translate frog
We need to know
Re hi viz if req or compulsory on French sid
Demonstrations we ride round or over them
How involved the police gonna follow it through
Filtering through traffic fine or not
Keep in touch

Cheers
Kev

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Hi moon
More info the better for all concerned
Unsure who can translate frog
We need to know
Re hi viz if req or compulsory on French sid
Demonstrations we ride round or over them
How involved the police gonna follow it through
Filtering through traffic fine or not
Keep in touch

Cheers
Kev

OK, I'm getting nowhere with this, I can find no coherent DEFINITIVE statement about WTF is going on re hi viz & the rest on the internet. Lots of politic speak, lots of conjecture & legal parlance to be sure, but nothing clear & precise, & this despite asking the question simply & directly on a french bike forum where a number of regular active members are gendarmes!. I have a rendez vous cancelled tomorrow so will go to the Police station in auxerre & ask. If they can't answer I'll go to the gendarmerie & try there.

more tomorrow.

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
OK! now we're getting somewhere. I did the rounds this morning, Police Nationale, Gendarmerie & prefecture.

The govt. have effectively voted a law making the wearing of hi viz vests obligatory for all motorised 2 wheeled vehicles. HOWEVER, the legal text has not yet been published in the "journal official" & the law doesn't come into force untill it has been so published. that from the prefecture.

the Police Nationale: "naaah, not applicable yet, probably won't be applicable untill sometime in 2012."

The Gendarmerie: "I don't know, hold on whilst I phone a man who does...

No. Not yet.not in the immediate futur."

so there you have it, straight from the horses mouth as it were. The law is NOT yet in force & is not expected to be so untill sometime next year.

As a caveat to that, if the demonstrations planned have the desired effect, then it won't ever actually be applicable...

On a less positive note, the FFMC are seriously mobilising for the 18th June, they have created a whole new pressure group federating all "road users" in general. I recieved a mail today informing me that this new pressure group has been ratified & recognised by the FFM (Federation Francaise de Motorcyclisme). A number of people I have spoken to have intimated that riding in to paris on the 18th June is NOT a good idea.

I have a bike club meeting this evening & will speak to the guys about it, most of them are (fairly) responsable adults & some have or do work in Paris & know the place better than I. I also trust them & value their opinion. i'll let you know what we think.

If you're decided to ride in anyway, then there's some stuff you may want to know about how the French authorities are likely to deal with the demonstration/ demonstrators... forwarned is forarmed. I'll also try & ascertain what the plan is for the demo & what sort of timing we're looking at.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just got back today from France, Germany, Belgium. over the last week seen lots of bikes. very few dayglow vests. seen a few of the French boys in blue, they showed no interest in five of us only one wearing a vest. :thumbup:

nigel.

·
almost human? Possibly
396 Posts
if its the case that we may run into problems and could get stopped more than normal would it be worth getting a letter written in French explaining that we are not part of the demonstration and we are taking part in a charity ride from Blackpool to Paris bla Bela Bela just an idea

Derek :thumbup:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I've been in France a few times on the bike and been pulled twice by bike police, didn't do anything wrong the police just were friendly wanted to know where we were from and where and were we were going and made a fuss of the bike and lets go with no problems.

Guardia in Spain were a bit different, quite scarey fortunalty at the check point they didn't pull us as they were all armed heavily and not f*****G about like our lot over here, but then ETA had just made a public threat to Bomb the beaches in southern spain.

I do like riding in france speed camera's are great as they catch you coming towards them :thumbup::thumbup:but there mobile unit usually patrol motorways in orange transit van type vans

·
Stone Crazy
5,306 Posts
Most frenchmen go home too dinner at 6 o,clock strike or no strike , at least the truck drivers do anyway
Merv

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
if its the case that we may run into problems and could get stopped more than normal would it be worth getting a letter written in French explaining that we are not part of the demonstration and we are taking part in a charity ride from Blackpool to Paris bla Bela Bela just an idea

Derek :thumbup:
I can do that for you if anybody wants one.

Hi Moon
thank you for doing all the hard work
very much appreciated
ta
kev
No problemo's Kev, I'd rather be taking part in the event really, but can't so want to help any way I can.

Will we not miss most of any demo, not likely to be arriving until 9 ish at the earliest.
That's what I popped in for, I spoke to the bike club wednesday evening & they are all of the opinion that the demo will be long over before you get there. It will probably start about 14:00 & peter out about 18:00 ish. Even if it drags on a bit it should be long gone by the time the first TLD riders arrive at the eye-full...

I do like riding in france speed camera's are great as they catch you coming towards them :thumbup::thumbup:but there mobile unit usually patrol motorways in orange transit van type vans
When was the last time you were here Jase? The model1 auto radars effectively flashed from the front, no worries on a bike, Model 2 onwards all take you from behind & we're now on model 5 or 6...
The orange vans on the autoroutes are the autoroute security patrol & don't have speed cameras & are not police. At the moment, most of the mobile units are fitted in the boot of White or blue unmarked Renault Megane's (I or II) & some ford mondeos. However, they can set up the unit up to about 30metres from the vehicle, so you usually won't see the car 'till its waaaaay too late...believe me, bin there, done that, seen the film & paid the fine...

Most frenchmen go home too dinner at 6 o,clock strike or no strike , at least the truck drivers do anyway
Merv
Yup! all very civilised yer average frog demonstrator...

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
just recieved this from the Parisien FFMC organiser, via my local organiser

"Et, ben, on peut dire que ça tombe très mal…
La Tour Eiffel, fait partie du parcours et c’est même un des endroits principaux ou nous allons nous arrêter et faire une action.
Considère que samedi 18 juin d’environs 16 h 30 à 19 h, Sur le pont entre la tour et le Trocadéro, il y auras plusieurs milliers de motards plus les automobilistes qui nous rejoindrons.
Désolé pour tes amis, mais sauf si ils font ça le matin, le lieu est à éviter…"

translation:
"well you could say it could have fallen better...
The Eiffel Tower is an integral & even principal part of the route for the demonstration where we will stop & make an event.
Consider that, saturday 18June, around 16h30 to 19h00, on the bridge between the tower & the Trocadéro, there will be a few thousand bikes plus all the cars that will join us.
Sorry for your friends, but unless they do it in the morning, the place should be avoided..."

You have been warned. Please note the good news... 16H30 to 19H00 even if they're running late (they will be theyre french) they should be long gone by the time the first TLD riders get there.

MooN

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
just recieved this from the Parisien FFMC organiser, via my local organiser

"Et, ben, on peut dire que ça tombe très mal…
La Tour Eiffel, fait partie du parcours et c’est même un des endroits principaux ou nous allons nous arrêter et faire une action.
Considère que samedi 18 juin d’environs 16 h 30 à 19 h, Sur le pont entre la tour et le Trocadéro, il y auras plusieurs milliers de motards plus les automobilistes qui nous rejoindrons.
Désolé pour tes amis, mais sauf si ils font ça le matin, le lieu est à éviter…"

translation:
"well you could say it could have fallen better...
The Eiffel Tower is an integral & even principal part of the route for the demonstration where we will stop & make an event.
Consider that, saturday 18June, around 16h30 to 19h00, on the bridge between the tower & the Trocadéro, there will be a few thousand bikes plus all the cars that will join us.
Sorry for your friends, but unless they do it in the morning, the place should be avoided..."

You have been warned. Please note the good news... 16H30 to 19H00 even if they're running late (they will be theyre french) they should be long gone by the time the first TLD riders get there.

MooN
Thanks for the update Chris, we wont be arriving till well after this, so hopefully they will be in a bar somewhere enjoying a Stella and wont even notice our arrival :p

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Just had another thought on this. The TLD route is, as I understand it, NOT using the autoroutes. Riders should all be made aware that the demonstration is a NATIONAL demonstration & will involve most major town & cities (I'm working on getting a list...) it may be adviseable to avoid town centres & if riders come upon a demo, turn around & find an alternative route boxing around the town.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts