Honda XRV Forum banner
11K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  MarkShelley 
#1 ·
I have a TA650 and have owned TAs most of the time since the early 90s because they suit me and they do most things well. I have not ridden the new CB500X but the impresson from the posts on many websites is they appear to be the new Transalp relative to the new Africa. They appear to be capable at many things, are cheapish to buy and run, can be modified to improve their off road capability.
They also appear to have a higher profile than the similar 700/750.
Discuss!

#2 · (Edited)
Interesting one Dave.

They seem to be getting a good rep for being a frugal budget allrounder.
I've never ridden one but have browsed over them. Dunno, they just look a bit cut down budget commuter/new biker for my liking. Certainly as a replacement for an Alp I'd want a bit more power not less. I soon realised an nc700 wasn't for me when I tried one...
I'm sure AfricaJim will be along shortly with an owners report as Fiona recently bought one.
I notice DaveS is selling his cb5x on ukgser, 3 1/2k for a mint 6k mile 14 reg bike sounds great value.

Having said that, if you want an Alp replacement look at a new shape dl650. Just like an Alp but pretty much everything is better, I never thought I'd be saying that.......!
Great value too and have a near 300 mile tank range (20l) when ridden with a smattering of moderation ;)

They are well proven and popular stateside so no shortage of bolt on goodies/tat. I just fitted a peg lowering kit - cheap & simple.
I'm lovin mine :)

Phil

#3 ·
I went from a TA 700 to a CB500X a couple of years ago. I wanted a lighter, smaller and more economical bike and that's exactly what it is. I'll give you the good bits and the bad bits:

Good bits

It's much more fun to ride. When riding normally it's got a wider Rev range and will pull from lower revs. If you want to rag it, it loves to rev and shifts pretty well for 47bhp.
It's lighter and smaller so easier to move around and less chance of dropping it!
It's amazing on fuel. Did a 500 mile trip on it, some motorway, some pootling, a little ragging and most of it with panniers and it did 89mpg! And that is worked out, not off the computer.
They're cheap. The fact they sold loads with full panniers means there are loads of secondhand bargains or even unregistered new ones availabe.

Bad bits

The suspension is pretty bad. It's way too hard, especially at the front and bangs and crashes over potholes.
The quality is slightly down from the TA, not horrendous but you can tell. Most bikes are going that way though.

Basically it's a great bike and better than the TA for most of the things I want it for. Obviously not as good off road but if you went for the Rally Raid kit it would be a lot better and would get rid of the poor suspension.

I'm happy to give you some more comparisons with the TA if you need them.

#6 ·
the riding position looks a little more cramped than the TA600, which may be a deal breaker if you're tall?

the hard suspension puts me right off, I found the TA700 suspension too hard, it used to bang and crash over potholes, not as comfortable as the TA 600

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.