Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last sat night went 2 visit friend 9 miles away-pulled alp out of shed-started 'er up(2 weeks since i used it last) -she started but sounded very rough-paid no attention until i closed all doors,gates and so on-drove down 2 road and noticed less power than normal-noticed that rev counter wasnt working(remembered various diss groups that this is a sign than a cdi is gone).proceeded down 2 t lights and while waiting decided 2 carry on with journey and see what would happen.while waiting at lights turned off engine-second time doing that,rev counter started working and bike is driving sweetly since.i checked connections 2-day and looks very healthy.my question is-is my cdi going,gone or waiting 2 go?, or perhaps just a once off and nothing 2 concern myself about.

L

·
0 Posts
With the conditions you describe....most likely cause is the CDI. The connections inside the box develop very small cracks and continuity is interuppted. Vibrations, moving the wires around manually etc can restore the connections. The bad news is....it's only temporary. The connection will break again - and - if your life is like mine it - will break while overtaking a caravan full of kids in the rain with a line of lorries coming at you over the top of the hill (...hey did the Yank get all the terms correct?)

What mileage do you have on the bike. My experience is that this happens with about 25,000 miles or so.

With the tach going off, its the near side unit that's bad. Replace them both and carry the right side one for a spare.

This is really the only "Achilles Heel" of the Transalp and we all live with it. There are some articles about repairing the boxes if you're good with electronics and have skills with low temp soldering. My sucess rate is about 40 per cent.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my alp is a '93 with 31000 kms(about 18000 miles).i suppose these cdi's are dirt cheap?

L

·
0 Posts
Best price in the States is around $90 US. Dunno what you'll find in your part of the world.

Maybe ask on this forum. Someone should know who has the best prices.

FWIW there is also an inexpensive "upgraded" CDI holder that positions the boxes horizontally rather than vertically. Conventional wisdom is that the seat puts pressure on the wiring leading to the plugs causing the connections to crack. Personally I just think its vibration and time. One of the prices you pay for not using the old breaker points style of ignition. In the electronic age is seems we've gained performance and low maintenance but have accepted the sudden, difficult to diagnose, expensive to repair failure......progress.

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
£90 plus vat.

David silver ........best price I could get.

I never paid though.....(warranty):)

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can open them up and resolder 'dry' joints.

Search this forum for info...........

·
Middle-aged Junior Member
84 Posts

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Once you sort it..........

I just got this morning the new style CDI holder, also from david silver...

£14 delivered...Just in case......:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
could we have a pic please
i think the seat doesn't touch either of the cdi's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts