Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - these here CDI wotsits on the older around 91 bikes (where there is two in the wrong place where they get sat on!)

I know there is an issue with these that the connectors get damaged - I'm gonna try a bodge to sort it without total replacement!

am gonna put together a set of connectors and wires to move the CDi to a better location with newer tighter connectors!

anyone got any thoughts - am I barking up the wrong tree - is the damage caused likely to be internal?

when mine cuts to one pot a quick wiggle of the wires brings the front pot back in!

all I need to know tho is, can they be moved to another location or do they need to stay in the under seat area??

cheers all

Z:D
(the newly enthused but largely inept tinkerer!)

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
As far as I have seen, the fault is within the box, on the circuit bord.
I have seen boxes that have been cut open, and the pins from the connectors have been re-soldered on the circuit board.

Could a possible solution be to add some rubber distances under the saddle to raise it and prevent the saddle bottom from putting pressure on the CDI boxes?

I tried to use the CDI rubber holders from an early Transalp on my RD03.
This since the boxes on the Transalp is not situated in the same way as the RD03.
But it did not work very well. I had to move the Reg/Rec to be able and stove away the CDI boxes in the same way as the Transalp do.

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there Kjell - I have a sheet of ally that I'm gonna cut down to make a bridge over the CDis to stop any pressure but i've also unmounted them from the hooks to lower them down!

if the damage is internal then i think i'll replace rather than bodge as i'm not ready for the world of electronics yet!

was wondering about relocating the units to the top box as mine is permanently fixed on and this would mean they don't get sat on!

hmmmm!

cheers

Z

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Hello - these here CDI wotsits on the older around 91 bikes (where there is two in the wrong place where they get sat on!)

I know there is an issue with these that the connectors get damaged - I'm gonna try a bodge to sort it without total replacement!

am gonna put together a set of connectors and wires to move the CDi to a better location with newer tighter connectors!

anyone got any thoughts - am I barking up the wrong tree - is the damage caused likely to be internal?

when mine cuts to one pot a quick wiggle of the wires brings the front pot back in!

all I need to know tho is, can they be moved to another location or do they need to stay in the under seat area??

cheers all

Z:D
(the newly enthused but largely inept tinkerer!)
I recall the fix was to get put them verrical as per the the RD03 the original CDIs were laid flat and the fix is to move them to a vertical position.. still under the seat..

Technicals

I would just do that as my XLV--Transalp and At all have them under the seat..

·
Registered
44 Posts
was wondering about relocating the units to the top box Z
I'd advise against lengthening the wires this much. Long wires (technically ALL wires, but longer are worse) act as an antenna - receiving and transmitting electrical noise, which could affect your ignition or other electronics.

If you need to lengthen the wires for relocation, keep the changes to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I recall the fix was to get put them verrical as per the the RD03 the original CDIs were laid flat and the fix is to move them to a vertical position.. still under the seat..
I think the opposite is the case. As in horizontal good, vertical bad. I'm not sure that's the problem though. I've got the post 94 horizontal layout and mine failed too.

Hope that's some help to you Z.

·
Hill Rider
3,095 Posts
I think the opposite is the case. As in horizontal good, vertical bad.
The man is correct - the replacement CDI holder (a Honda Mod apparently) is:-

30401-MM9-010
Costs £11.54 plus all the usual from David Silver Spares

Also said previously, there is a problem with the internal solder connections breaking down (age + vibration???). This little problem has been tackeled & remedied by several really clever and small fingered people who have opened up the offending item and re-soldered all the contacts.
I've got a couple of "dodgy" CDI's sitting in the garage awaiting my fumbling attempt to sort them - they'll wait a little longer yet I think :rolleyes: :thumbup:

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

30401-MM9-010

Also said previously, there is a problem with the internal solder connections breaking down (age + vibration???). This little problem has been tackeled & remedied by several really clever and small fingered people who have opened up the offending item and re-soldered all the contacts.
I've got a couple of "dodgy" CDI's sitting in the garage awaiting my fumbling attempt to sort them - they'll wait a little longer yet I think :rolleyes: :thumbup:

Steve T

strange both the twin and the alp have the cdis vertical..

could be terminology
the cdis are vertical with the plugs horizontal pointing to the back of the bike :toothy1:

·
Registered
256 Posts

30401-MM9-010

Steve T

Personally I'd listen to this comment...:thumbright:

Recently had a fault with mine cuttin out on one cylinder, and went down the route of changing the CDI's and the holder, as found it mentioned on several forums, and the easy fix is to get the new style CDI holder, which still puts the CDI's under the seat but instead of being next to each other in a verticle position, and lays them down one infront of the other in a horizontal position (if I get time tommoz I will take a piccy of mine to show you...). I got mine from my local Honda dealer, and the price was about £15.

The thing is this didn't cure my fault, as after I replaced both CDI's and got the new holder, my problem continued. Based on what I found out, is your problem just when you move the wires about or does it start when the engine gets warm...:confused: It turned out that what was causing my fault was one of my pulse generators was failing when the engine got to temperature, which in turn took out one of my CDI's.

The way to check you pulse coils is described in the haynes manual, and basically you do the following:
Using a Ohmmeter check for continuity between the connector terminals, to check the front coil measure the resistance between the blue wire and the white and blue wire, and rear is between the yellow wire and white and yellow wire. You are looking for a reading between 360 & 540 Ohms at 20 degrees C (cold engine..). anything different to this and your coils are knackered. Mine were fine when cold but when at temperature the front coil gave no reading even when the rear one was giving a normal reading, and thats how I found out it was the coil which was knackered not my CDI's.
You will find the wires for you coils coming out of the front of the engine block on the right hand side cover, and the plug is hidden up behind the top of the rads, and is easier to get at with the tank off.

Last thing, to help find exactly which CDI is playing up (if the coils are fine), if it's the rear coil/CDI then you rev counter will drop off as well, but if it's the front then the rev counter will stay on. I think it was the left hand CDI (looking towards the front of the bike) that is for the rear, but easiest way to check is look at the wires going into each CDI the rear will have (amongst others) a solid yellow wire going to it, and the front will have a solid blue one going to it.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
could be terminology
the cdis are vertical with the plugs horizontal pointing to the back of the bike :toothy1:
Ahh terminology. A picture would be good. :) By vertical I meant just that, with the short side on top. Horizontal also being with the plugs pointing back but with the long side on top. Does that make any sense?

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Ahh terminology. A picture would be good. :) By vertical I meant just that, with the short side on top. Horizontal also being with the plugs pointing back but with the long side on top. Does that make any sense?

that's what the honda revised support does, simply rotates the two cdi's through 90 degrees, so that the long side is on top. I think they're slightly lower too that way. I did this mod on my '91 600 a few years back, tried sorting the cdi's (& failed) so replaced them with 2nd hand ones & had no problem since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts