Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a great piece of kit that I bought whilst in the States a couple of years ago for $45 (about £30 at the time) but it is available online.

Basically it’s an additional fuse box that enables you to quickly and easily power any additional accessories you want to put on your bike.

I have wired mine under the seat on my Africa Twin so that it’s easy access to swap out any fuses and it keeps it out of the weather.

I have the following wired to it for power when the ignition is switched:
  • Garmin 2610 GPS
  • PIAA 002X auxiliary lights
  • Roadbook Lighting
  • 2 x 12v Power Sockets
  • Autocom
  • AQ low fuel warning light
  • Fog light
Very easy to wire in – you have two main terminals – one feed and one ground, the feed is wired into a 30A relay which is powered by an ignition switched live source and the ground goes directly to the battery.

This then leaves 8 available slots (one side power, the other side ground) for you to connect any powered accessories and use whatever size fuse you need upto a maximum 60A overall.

I’ll post a photo of mine fitted next time I remember.

This is what the manufacturers Centech say about it:

The AP-1's compact size (3.0" x 2.4" x 1" high) allows for easy installation. Once mounted, a positive and negative wire is run to the main power panel which will then allow the AP-1 panel to supply convenient, safe fused power for up to eight individual electronic devices, including radio, GPS and other accessories, up to 60 amperes.

Manufactured using only high quality materials like plated contacts and stainless steel hardware, the water resistant AP-1 fuse panel will provide reliable service no matter what your application and is even recommended for marine use! So a motorcycle should be a doddle!

The panel utilizes ATC type (spade)fuses that will not spark when blown and the built-in grounding system ensures that the electrical system works properly and safely at all times.

Making terminations is a quick and easy process, simply strip your wire and place it under the Lugless connector clamp and tighten with a screwdriver. No additional mechanical fasteners needed to make connections to the panel.

The AP-1 fuse panel comes with fuses, all the necessary hardware for installation, complete instructions and is covered by a one year warranty.

And this is the product review by the American magazine – Motorcycle Consumer News

"Product Report" from Motorcycle Consumer News"
OVERALL RATING ***** (5 STAR)
"With all the equipment that we added to the bike, we needed to protect our investment from inadvertent electrical surges. Enter the Centech AP-1. It is compact (3.0"x2.4"x1.25"), water resistant, and designed to supply fused power for up to eight individual electronic/accessories up to 60 amperes. We securely mounted ours under the seat near the rear fender. Connections to the fuse panel are really easy since a "lugless" terminal is used under the retaining screw. No additional fasteners are needed. A 30 amp sealed power switch relay kit was also added to the mix to provide further protection."

G

·
what he said.
had one on my bike for 3 years no problems at all,run mine switched with a relay.connected to the rear light (lights always on).quite expensive for a fusebox but as i said,never a problem with it.relay/wiring kit is expensive,usually about £17 but i got the parts from maplins and made mine "tailored" to my bike/fitting location for half the money.recomended piece of kit.

G

·
it is expensive thats why i saved money by not buying their wiring/relay set up but its a good quality item,all stainless parts and well put together.its also quite small (about the size of a *** packet) so its not too hard to find somewhere to place it out of the way on the bike.the quality tells me it wont rust or fall apart and who wants to sit at the side of a motorway in the rain trying to find an elusive electrical failure? just my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts