Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gday,
first post here... We have just scored an AT (2000 RD07) after some time of debating whether to get one... It's a low mileage (15k) example with a few cosmetic issues due to prolonged storage, however very happy with the purchase indeed...
It is being rebuilt to be used for a partially-handicapped rider, one of our lads who got hurt in Afghanistan... The AT will be made into a part-time trike, by being fitted with hydraulic 'training'/stabiliser wheels which deploy at speeds of under 5mph (safety feature to allow normal cornering).
We're also working on a BMW R1200C (which will be a ride-into trike), but that's a different story... The aim is to use these for a charity fundraiser (H4H) and by the new owners of the bikes themselves...

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Boz

MOD EDIT:- Sorry mate under the rules of the site you can't place wanted ads. unless you're a subscribed member. See here

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,081 Posts
Hi

Good to see a decent project like this, stands and crash bars can be found on ebay of course, and you could try Wemoto as well - SWmotech bars are about £130-£140, dunno what a stand is but I am sure they can price one for you - might even do a deal or summat (you never know)

Some pics of the project as it runs would be great.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Re the centre stand, would a paddock stand be beter if it is only to be used for servicing? An Africa Twin is not the easiest bike to get up on a centre stand.
Ref crash bars, rear panniers my give more clearance if the bike is layed down. Just a thought. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a set of crash bars surplus to requirements. They are a bit scuffed and used and originally came from Germany, Not sure of the make but they are the type that fit to the radiator mounting bolts and bash plate bolts.
Sounds like a worthy cause so if you want them,you can have them for the postage cost (I,m in Portugal)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gday all,
thank you very much for the assistance and advice... the idea is to use the hydraulic stabilisers to take up most of the weight and then be able to pop it up onto the centre stand for servicing/access to everything.
I feel a bit awkward talking about it, but the chap who it's intended for is missing his leg from the knee. He can still use his strength, but has no stability from his right leg, hence the automatic stabilisers (ie stopping at lights, moving it around etc). Therefore the intention is to modify it to make it as 'standard' looking as possible (stabilisers will be discreetly located behind the panniers).

The crash bars are there purely for back-up, should the electrics/hydraulics pack up & decide not to play the game... in which case between the crash bars and the panniers there is little chance of entrapment and bike damage should also be minimal...

lusitano,
if you don't mind dropping me a line on [email protected], that would be much appreciated...

Kind Regards

Boz

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
Gday all,
thank you very much for the assistance and advice... the idea is to use the hydraulic stabilisers to take up most of the weight and then be able to pop it up onto the centre stand for servicing/access to everything.
I feel a bit awkward talking about it, but the chap who it's intended for is missing his leg from the knee. He can still use his strength, but has no stability from his right leg, hence the automatic stabilisers (ie stopping at lights, moving it around etc). Therefore the intention is to modify it to make it as 'standard' looking as possible (stabilisers will be discreetly located behind the panniers).

The crash bars are there purely for back-up, should the electrics/hydraulics pack up & decide not to play the game... in which case between the crash bars and the panniers there is little chance of entrapment and bike damage should also be minimal...

lusitano,
if you don't mind dropping me a line on [email protected], that would be much appreciated...

Kind Regards

Boz
We've got our own one legged bike rider here on the forum, I'm sure he'll be along to introduce himself shortly. Actually I think we might have two, but my memory isn't that brilliant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts