Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Seen a few threads about difficulty using centre stands. Having nearly pulled something trying to heave my @ up, I tried this: it works a peach. Put a narrow, 2 inch thick piece of wood on the floor and roll the back wheel onto it, the momentum makes it quite easy. Then put the stand down and pull bike back. Finally, kick wood from under tyre. I'm probably trying to teach Grandmothers to suck eggs, but at least my piles are grateful. Only problem is working out where to stow the block of wood on the bike. The space between my ears should do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i like sound of this,i'll give it a go tomorrow.it's a lot cheaper option than buying the replacement stand for 100 quid.:happy3:

·
Hill Rider
3,098 Posts
I got a copy made of the Honda handle that comes with the genuine Honda center stand - it gives a lower hand hold for lifting the bike and @ 5'6", I have no trouble lifting the bike onto the stand.

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got a copy made of the Honda handle that comes with the genuine Honda center stand - it gives a lower hand hold for lifting the bike and @ 5'6", I have no trouble lifting the bike onto the stand.

Steve T

What does such handle look like, where does it bolt on the @ and how can I get my hands on one? :)

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
What does such handle look like, where does it bolt on the @ and how can I get my hands on one? :)
One for me too pls!:thumbup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is the African Queens-version available for the @? Is there even a chance that I might be in on the deal with your local metalsmith (I have an RD07A, if it makes any difference)? :)

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Is the African Queens-version available for the @? Is there even a chance that I might be in on the deal with your local metalsmith (I have an RD07A, if it makes any difference)? :)
The one pictured is for the Varadero I posted it just for reference you should have a welder somewhere near to yourself take him the picture and show him your bike I reckon a good welder could knock one of these out in his lunchbreak doing a one off he may do it for a favour;) if you ask for half a dozen he knows you are selling them and will charge normal hourly rates.
If there is enough demand maybe Rugged Roads can bring them in their range

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
I've got the lifting handle on my Africa, but still struggle to put the thing on the centre stand, the last two times I put my back out, I must be doing it wrong:( I find the handle too low, plus my back in knackered anyway.

I will try the plank of wood idea, sounds great, when working on the bike in my garage I currently jack the bike up on my trolley jack and then drop the centre stand.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
I've got the lifting handle on my Africa, but still struggle to put the thing on the centre stand, the last two times I put my back out, I must be doing it wrong:( I find the handle too low, plus my back in knackered anyway.

I will try the plank of wood idea, sounds great, when working on the bike in my garage I currently jack the bike up on my trolley jack and then drop the centre stand.
how much weight do you place on the stand with your foot
I use my full bodyweight and get the dero up with the stand on a plank, not easy but she goes up

·
Registered
45 Posts
i followed thetimkirby's instructions on the original post on this subject.place a block of wood,mine happened to be 40mm / 1 3/4 inch.placed behind the rear wheel and hey presto up she went with about half the usual effort.not half as much heaving, easy peasy.thanks for the tip.:color:

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
A full 14.5 stone!!:D
Then get a short lashing strap to go round the passenger pegs to use as an extended grip so you can lift without bending your back
3 Slipped disks and careful I carry a strap in my tankbag always

·
Hill Rider
3,098 Posts
It looks similar to the one shown for the Vara, but the loop isn't quite so obvious on the @ one. It bolts under the LH rear foot rest mount via a drilled plate welded to the handle, then the handle comes up above the footrest hanger a bit (enough to get a gloved hand in anyway :rolleyes:)
When I asked our blacksmith to make me one he needed the original to copy, as it has some interesting bends in the handle to take it away from the foot rest mount. Saw one on ebay the other night, looked new, so keep an eye on there for another one from a breakers.

TTFN,

Steve T

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi all,

I have an original lifting handle on my @ and I still find it a real heave without the wood block (5 foot 9, and 12 and half stone) I find the handle way too low, my back is bent sideways while lifting and my neck suffers. Yes, I may be a right Jesse, but the wood makes it so easy I can use the plastic pillion grab to pull the bike up the last bit. It occurred to me the the block thickness depends on the suspension adjustment for each bike, but I'm sure this can be fine tuned. Or do I need to get out more?

Tim

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
I know it's risky, but I find the easiest point to grab is the LHS pillion handle - (SW motech) stand down, full weight (10.5 st.) on the footpad, backwards lean / haul on the handle & up it comes. Sure it weakens the handle though - the strap round the pillion peg must be tried - thanks Snaphappy.

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts

This is the lifting handle off a RD07, not that you can see much in the picture but it gives you an idea.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hi all, if you weld a small steel dogleg to the stand about 5" long you can square your bike away with the weight of your leg. No bending or struggling.

I hope this is usefull......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts