Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always asking :) Just installed a new chain and sprocket set, and new rear tyre. My question is ... where should the wheel be placed in relation to the adjuster gauge/arrow ? The pictures shows the wheel as far forward as it will go. Many thanks guys !

Chain adj left.jpg Chain adj right.jpg

·
Hill Rider
3,070 Posts
Ignore the coloured markers on the swing arm and concentrate on getting the correct chain tension using both adjusters set as near as possible to corresponding marks on the adjuster body.
The correct tension should be shown on a lable on the swingarm if you don't have an owners manual. 35-45mm if my memory serves me correctly - at the mid point of the chain run between the front and rear sprocket centres.

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ignore the coloured markers on the swing arm and concentrate on getting the correct chain tension using both adjusters set as near as possible to corresponding marks on the adjuster body.
The correct tension should be shown on a lable on the swingarm if you don't have an owners manual. 35-45mm if my memory serves me correctly - at the mid point of the chain run between the front and rear sprocket centres.

Steve T

Good boy Steve ... I must be losing the plot at 60 :( I guess all will be revealed when I install the standard chain ;)

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
i aim for 30mm slack in the chain when i am sitting on the bike. if its too tight you will hear a "whirring" sound from the front sprocket area when riding

·
Hill Rider
3,070 Posts
My trick for getting the correct chain tension is this (it has been written on this site several times):-

This does require the presence of a centre stand for it to be of any use.

Once you have managed to get the manufacturers declared chain tension correct with the bike on its side stand, pop your machine up onto the centre stand and after rotating the rear wheel several roatations in the running direction, measure the gat between the top of the chain and the bottom of the swingarm at the chains mid-way point.
With that measurement to hand, knock up something that is that size - I use a block of wood. This should, if measured & cut correctly, slide into the gap between the top of the chain and the bottom of the swingarm with out effort and without distorting the chain.
Next time you want to check your chain tension - bike onto centre stand, position your measured bit of whatever it is you used into the appropriate position on the chain and voila, check done.

Kept my chain tension correct for many years now.

Steve T

1 - 5 of 5 Posts