Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good chain and padlock? Preferable one that doesn't weigh a ton and isn't too expensive. There are loads out there and it's hard to know which are good and which are made of swiss cheese.

Any stories of thieves being defeated by a particular brand or model?

·
2,701 Posts
Almax/squire ss60 is the standard that all others are judged by. . . . . expensive and heavy, . . . but if you want the bike to stay where you left it (chain thro frame and around something solid) Almax would be top of the list.

The main thing with the chain is the link diameter, that is too big for bolt croppers.

However many manufacturers have followed suit and produced chains of equal size.

If you need a lighter set up for out and about, i use a Squire mc4 + ss50, relying on the the probability of another bike close by, easier for scrotes to steal.

If i had to keep a bike on the street my security would be Almax + lamp post.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you need a lighter set up for out and about, i use a Squire mc4 + ss50, relying on the the probability of another bike close by, easier for scrotes to steal.
Thanks for the replies.

That Almax stuff looks pretty good, but it is an out and about setup I'm after. I'll check out the squire one you mention.

Ta.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, just finished watching the bolt cropping vids on the Almax site. Shows just how insecure some of the chains are.

I never realised before the significance of keeping the chain away from the ground if you can. If you can't use the ground to help with the croppers then I doubt you could cut any of the chains. I'd love to know how much force those croppers exerted on the chains, there is some leverage there!

The MC4 held them up a bit longer than the others so I'll start looking around for prices on one of those I think.

Ta.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Did some tests in Ride mag, most was broken (even the big expensive ones) with a large lump hammer, as i remember the worst way to lock your bike up is with chain/padlock hanging on floor. give's them somthing solid to smash it against.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Did some tests in Ride mag, most was broken (even the big expensive ones) with a large lump hammer, as i remember the worst way to lock your bike up is with chain/padlock hanging on floor. give's them somthing solid to smash it against.
What do you think puts the potholes in the road?

People breaking padlocks with a sledgehammer.

·
Registered
346 Posts
What do you think puts the potholes in the road?

People breaking padlocks with a sledgehammer.

In that case folks need to be more considerate as to where they park their bikes and not leave them in the middle of the carrageway ... probably help with congestion too if these bikes were parked at the side of the road :D

·
Registered
924 Posts
In that case folks need to be more considerate as to where they park their bikes and not leave them in the middle of the carrageway ... probably help with congestion too if these bikes were parked at the side of the road :D
:sign5:

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Almax and the Squire padlock every time!

I had a ground anchor outside my house, not one of those loops, but the Y-Anchor. It's really good, but does mean your chain is on the ground.

When I have the option, I always loop the chain around the tyre once, that way the lock can't move. It's a bit of a chore, but so is phoning the insurance, filling out a police report, and walking home in your leathers.

JB

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Just watched the videos - first thing I noticed was how wide the cutter arms where to begin the cut on the Almax models v all others - obviously because the chain has a thicker diameter they are instantly harder to get a grip of followed by harder to get the cutters to start the leverage.

So - and I may be an idiot here - why dont tealeafs use cutters with wider/adjustable cutter mouths to allow for the thicker chain and therefore negating any advantage of the thicker chain on grip/leverage?

Obviously still harder to cut but at least possible to start it?

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Just watched the videos - first thing I noticed was how wide the cutter arms where to begin the cut on the Almax models v all others - obviously because the chain has a thicker diameter they are instantly harder to get a grip of followed by harder to get the cutters to start the leverage.

So - and I may be an idiot here - why dont tealeafs use cutters with wider/adjustable cutter mouths to allow for the thicker chain and therefore negating any advantage of the thicker chain on grip/leverage?

I noticed that on a video a few years ago. There was no close up of the croppers but a cynic might suggest they either adjusted the jaws on the croppers or put the chain they didn't want to break further in the jaws which would make the handles further apart and reduce the effective leverage.

·
Registered
779 Posts

Where would you get the cutters from? They don't get much bigger than the ones shown in the videos AFAIK.

·
Registered
924 Posts
looking at the immobilier III range, i wouldnt consider 0.7m to be long enough to carry about on the bike, there would be way too many circumstances where that wouldnt be long enough, making it less than useless.
The other option being the 1.5m, which is what i have now in a different brand, which is sometimes too long (and in the almax range weighs approx 5 metric tonnes)
Fingers crossed they do a middle length of 1.0 or 1.2 soon :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Almax 2m immobiliser Series III + Squire SS65CS + free kreiger bag.
Exactly 10.0 kg all in, fits nicely in front of the top box.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
I carry one of these:

Abus Granit 58 with loop chain. It's not very long but it uses its length effectively. I usually tie the chain around a lamp post and then put the U lock through the bike frame.

Probably not the all-out best lock out there, but it's fairly portable as these things go, and then again, if they really want your bike then they will have it, no matter how big a lock you stick on it. So I try to park next to shinier bikes. ;-)

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
It really is a shame they took the folding Cyclelok off the market. I'd like a nice new 8-arm, instead of trying to revive my ageing 6-arm:

;-)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts