Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read a lot about the kk supersprocket. But I need to do 12K service and don’t want to wait for one to arrive. So I’m considering this from M&P Honda XL 700 Transalp ABS 2012 X-Ring Silent DID Gold Chain & Sprocket Kit | eBay
its the nearest I can find to oem, but what do you guys think ? I’ve also got a Scottoiler to fit. My current chain is at max adjustment so it needs to go. I only use bike for days out etc but may do a few camping trips in the future

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a super chain and the silence one is working, it is much more silent. I have it on my africa twin and super happy for it, last one was the normal did x-ring and also nice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fitted chain n sprockets. Mostly went pretty easy. Big error was using a cheap hex drive on rear sprocket bolts. The ball end snapped off and after an hour of trying to get it out I resorted to the grinder and cut the head off. I inherited the set of cheap hex drives and they’ll be thrown into the household tool box.
The £20 US Pro Tools riveter kit worked fine at pushing the pins out of old chain and pressing th new link together, but I’m not totally happy with its riveting capability. The pins in the chain are 5mm and with max welly I can only get the head to splay out to 5.3mm. Watched video on YouTube which said should be around 5.5mm. So I’m thinking if I use a 6mm ball bearing to press into the end of the pin I should get a bit more spread. Went out for test ride and John Bonde says, much quieter now and smoother too.
Some concern about the drive sprocket, bike only done 13K and there’s already play in the drive shaft. Think I’ll have to invest in a KK supersprocket for another £40, but I’ll lose the rubber damper.
Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think it's fine, be careful not to make it to tight so the link will be stiff. My last chain made 13k km in total and it was worn out, to much offroad :cool: when I had a road bike with scottoiler I did 20k km without and problem.
Some people change sprocket because they worn out faster then the chain, I just did that on my Yamaha WR426. Don't know if i would spent the money on a supersprocket

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I’m about to fit a Scottoiler to the bike. Found this interesting article on internet re Scottoil Vs Chainsaw oil. Very interesting that another chain oiler manufacturer uses chainsaw oil (Stihl Synth Plus only) as it’s much cheaper. Worth the read Scottoil vs. chainsaw oil
lots of other interesting TA stuff on this site too

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After much research, I wasn’t convinced it was riveted correctly so popped down to friendly local bike shop and he got the monster riveter on it. Although the rivet tool I bought for £20 pushed the pin out and pressed the link on fine, the part that’s meant to flare the rivet seems to be made of chocolate.
Ive noticed on other (better) riveters that they have a ball bearing that presses against the rivet to flare it. It’s times like this you wish you hadn’t thrown all those old ball bearings away. 5mm looks to be about right

1 - 6 of 6 Posts