Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It must be somewhere on the site but I can't find it; what is the collective wisdom on replacing chain and sprockets? Original or pattern. If pattern, which ones and cheapest supplier?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Most important bit is to fit the Honda front sprocket. The experience with chains differ quite a bit but it would seem that everybody who has fitted a Heavy Duty DID X-ring chain is happy with it, although it is quite expensive. On the other hand Maverick has so far done 35k miles on his Honda chain so it can't be that bad. Dave S will be along shortly to complain about having to fit 2 Honda chains in 12k miles..

Can't help you with a supplier as I've not had to replace my chain since owning the bike though M&P or Busters is probably a good place to start. Also give David Silver Spares a call.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,039 Posts
http://www.te-motorcyclespares.co.uk/
Used them twice so far for DID X ring chain and Renthal sprockets. I'm not a believer in the Honda original front sprocket theory(saw one on Saturday with it's extra cushiony thing).

The Honda chain my bike came with as new was cack!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I will probably go for DID and Renthal rear, but get Honda front. I can understand the theory behind the cushion and am very cautious. Bit of internet searching and I will reort back!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Honda front ! Nothing else will do IMHO.
Rear Sprocket and Chain - you get what you pay for - cheap chains are usually shite and stretch in a matter of minutes. Pay a bit more for a quality DID or Renthal item with x-ring/o-rings and fancy colours if you are a bit of a style guru.
I always go for a heavy duty o-ring in plain old fashioned steel.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
As Yen says don't go for anything else other than a DID Premium X Ring chain. They are rock solid and will last far longer than the OEM chocolate chain. IMHO of course... :mrgreen:
Also I can recommend TE Spares as Yen says the bloke is cool.
And I'd recommend the original front sprocket, and a pattern rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts