Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got views on this. Are chain oilers worth having for normal road use? Views appreciated

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Whether you use an oiler or not chains still need regular cleaning to maximise life. I used a chain oiler in the past but reverted to using a spray can. My chains have always run cleaner. Just get into a habit of lubing the chain once you stop for the night. I ride off road now more than on road so use dry lube. Always use a good one. Used Repsol in the past and Putoline at present

·
Registered
89 Posts
Chain oilers are great and maximise the life of chain and sprockets, Never had to adjust or change a chain or sprocket whilst using one but make sure to clean the chain same as if you wasn't using one ..

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I had 2 Scottoilers in the past. Both failed at high temperatures (one in Morroco). 1st one valve failed and pressure cause the container to leak everywhere. 2nd one failed in the UK but at high temperature, valve failed again leaking oil all over my newly finished Marathon

Junked them after this and reverted to manual

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Boobman here. Oops wrong forum,
I went off Scottoilers and now use a Loobman with old engine oil - cheap, simple and effective.

I must admit to never cleaning a chain, plenty of oil kind of flings the crap off anyway.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
on my transalp 600 i got a scottoiler that I had sitting there for years it came under the seat of a bike so I got a t piece that fits into the vacuum pipe that goes to the petrol tap and a vacuum suppressor elbow that goes on to the t piece it was easy to fit and set up. I love it and would recommend them even though they are a bit costly brand new a loobman looks like a good idea. hear is what I do on my other bike its got a centre stand . I use a scottoiler oil bottle with the filler spout on the end of the hose to fill up 50 ml nicotine replacement vapouriser bottles with engine oil or gear that I have left over . then every 100 miles I put the bike on the stand with it in first gear and squirt on a bit of oil I use my thumb nail as a measure guide and squirt out about 8 or 10 mm of oil in dry weather more of a wet day . similar set up to a loobman only a bit of faffing about . but its free . I am against spray on chain lube as it is very hard to remove and acts like grinding paste . a total rip off really . I use home heating oil kerosene to clean off the oil .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks fir tye replies. I will try the loobman which is already fitted to the bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts