Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking the bike in readyness for TLD and have found my Chain Slider has worn through and the chain is scoring the top of the swinging arm. Looked on David Silver Spares and it's a special order part that I'm not going to get before TLD. :(

Anyone got any tips for protecting the swinging arm in the meanwhile?

·
Registered
44 Posts
If any of the slider thats left is salvageable then try to use that. Do something though or your swingarm with be cactus in no time.
If you can pick on up they are simple and easy to fit - no need to unbolt the swingarm.
Best of luck

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Re: Chain Slider Advice

Now this is a challenge for team XRV... I put a pound on a complete solution by the end of next week. :thumbup:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Airwolf. Part sourced from Ling's who have it in stock. Should be here and fitted by Thursday.

Panic over Mr Mannering :thumbup:

Looking in my Haynes manual I can't see how this can be fitted without dropping the Swinging Arm so I'm open to some advise on that front too . Thanks guys

·
Registered
51 Posts
Cut a long length of flexible plastic about an inch and a half wide (old plastic petrol can or something, ive used a broken b&q watering can in the past).

Unbolt the slider while still on the bike, shove it forwards a little so theres clearance between it and the front of the swingarm. feed the plastic strip underneath the top rear of the slider, push it forward and around sandwiched between the slider and swingarm. Use some pointy nosed pliers to pull the bottom back as you feed it in from the top.

You should now have a plastic strip running all the way round between the swing arm and slider, with a good few inches protruding fom the top and bottom. Put a ziptie round the plastic strip and slider at the very front (facing the sprocket) then bolt the slider in place. Now put a ziptie around the plastic strip and swingarm behind the slider. This should keep it happy till your new bits turn up. :thumbup:

·
Registered
361 Posts
You can also adjusted the screw on the rear suspension down so the rear drops this will keep the chain from rubbing on the swing arm

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I sit here at work wondering if Ling's will deliver my bl**dy chain slider. Then i'm wondering if I really want to be dropping the swinging arm to fit it about 14 hours before I need to be off to deepest Norfolk what with wanting to sleep and load the bike and all in that time.

Still on the bright side the bit of plastic milk bottle I cable tied under the chainslider to cover the whole in it has bearly started to wear after covering nearly 200 miles. Alway knew my REME training would be usful one day - that's Rough Engineering Made Easy and not Ruin Everything Mechanical and Electrical.

I think I just need to travel with more cable ties and milk bottle strips and I should be good. And if worst come to it, it's what I pay the RA an exobitant fee for, to be recovered from where my vehicle has died (bet they can't fix it at the side of the road ;) ).

Wish me luck and I'll see the folks at the TA drill hall Friday night :rolleyes:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ashly, You do not need to disturb the swing arm.
It's It's a ten minute job to fit.
If you are really rushed take it with you and put on during the trip, its that easy.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK ... Ling's failed to deliver the chain slider before I had to set off for the start of TLD2010 ... but the bodged repair appears to be holding out. The chain set is on it's last legs as is the rear tyre but both should see me through the run.

O ... how wrong I was ....

Bodged repair for the chainslider is still working fine. However the chain has stretched so much I can no longer adjust it and it is still hitting the swinging arm. Time for the man from the RAC to show why I pay a small fortune each year to them by taking me home.

Have a new chainset ready to fit but after 9 days Ling's have still failed to supply the Chain slider. It was apparently dispatched on Monday last week. One irrate phone call coming I feel tomorrow.

Still she covered naerly 1500 miles and whilst my time was cut short in Ireland due to having to limp her back to Rosslair on the Sunday she was a sterling performer who didn't really miss a beat ... but she could do with a more comfortable seat as my arse will NEVER forget this challenge.

:thumbright:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
At least it got you there.
Be honest the bike did not break you did, you just made it so you could be chauffeured home in comfort.:D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The speed the guy drove while fishing around in a jacket pocket on the floor for his SatNav charger or haveing a swig from his coke I'd rather have ridden. He scared me senseless :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts