Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I posted this in the @ forum but there doesn't seem to be any interest so I'm widening the potential net by posting it here, I've no idea what the chain tension should be on bikes other than the @ so it still might not be of any interest to anyone but here goes...

After reading lots of the correct amount of chain slack I think it looks like there should be about 70mm between the underside of the swingarm and the chain (i.e. you can wedge a 70mm block inbetween the swingarm and chain) with this in mind I've cut a bit of 2"x1" to 70mm and I'll keep it in my topbox, anyhow, my son works in the drawing orifice at a local engineering company and he said that they are just about to buy a laser cutter, now if you had access to a laser cutter what would you make? I'm thinking something along the lines of something around 2 inch wide, 70mm high and whatever could be cut into the tool (think along the lines of those crappy pressed steel multi spanners that were popular with cyclists a few years ago) it's the 70mm bit that is important as the other measurements can be as big as they need to be but I'm thinking something which is easily stow-able and would be handy as an emergency tool, a spoke key comes to mind but after that I've drawn a blank.

If I can persuade my son to make this XRV.org.uk wonder tool I'll get him to knock a couple up for the best ideas and send them out as freebies and make the drawings available should anyone want to make their own up.

Anyone interested?

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Hi Bolty

I posted on your last query on this and I just have a mastic nozzle cut to 70mm - one in the toolbox at home and one on the bike - easily wiped and size and weight is next to nothing but holds it's length

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,039 Posts
I have a piece of 70mm copper tube. Which I have discovered works for my Varadero as well.

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks chaps, both things will work as well as anything that could be made, I could well end up with a metal rod cut to 70mm if I can't think of a good enough idea to task my son with!

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Thanks chaps, both things will work as well as anything that could be made, I could well end up with a metal rod cut to 70mm if I can't think of a good enough idea to task my son with!
Here's a thought Bolty

There are a select few fortunate owners of ATs that still have the dooberrywhizzer that fits under the seat and is used to prop the tank up - perhaps the 70mm mcjiggy could be fashioned to fit this purpose as well - these parts cannot be bought on their own - you have to buy the whole seat unit, which is no longer available !!

I'm sure this would be of more help than spanner type thingy

Thanks for the thought and hope this tasks your son

Hope someone more technical will be along to show you off a fiche or pic what I am on about

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a thought Bolty

There are a select few fortunate owners of ATs that still have the dooberrywhizzer that fits under the seat and is used to prop the tank up - perhaps the 70mm mcjiggy could be fashioned to fit this purpose as well - these parts cannot be bought on their own - you have to buy the whole seat unit, which is no longer available !!

Hope someone more technical will be along to show you off a fiche or pic what I am on about
Just for the folk that have discovered this thread, I've replied to this post on the Africa Twin section of this forum, it's confusing is all this double posting especially when there's beer involved!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Here's a thought Bolty

Is this the "dooberrywhizzer" you were referring to ?? Then I must be one of the select few fortunate owners :cool: ..and I use it to check the tension too :thumbup:

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this the "dooberrywhizzer" you were referring to ?? Then I must be one of the select few fortunate owners :cool: ..and I use it to check the tension too :thumbup:

I've got one of these too but I've never had call to use it, is it the right size for use as a chain tension checker then MUDD? (70mm if memory serves me correctly)...

I've got an offcut of wood that I use for this.

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Had a welder at work make my checker, after similar searching on the forum - piece of threaded rod with a nut tacked at both ends (looks like a mini dumbell) at precisely 70mm, gaffa on one end to avoid scratching the swingarm. Measure at the front edge of back wheel, ideally so the checker just slots in at tightest point, though have to take what you get with the adjusters. Find it feels ok. Seem to remember reading 40mm slack with rider on-board was good, hard to measure when you've got no mates around though... :cry: :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've got one of these too but I've never had call to use it, is it the right size for use as a chain tension checker then MUDD? (70mm if memory serves me correctly)...

I've got an offcut of wood that I use for this.
I think it's used to support the rear of the petrol tank but does me for checking the chain tension ..and yep it's 70mm :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
You lucky man MUDD, and you other lot !!

·
Very Enthusiastic Member
391 Posts
I've been using a magical 70mm tipex bottle that was somehow in my bits and bobs box, also been meaning to cut a bit of tufnel rod I have lying around, but this fuel tank prop-up device will do fine too. Thanks MUDD.

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it's used to support the rear of the petrol tank but does me for checking the chain tension ..and yep it's 70mm :thumbup:

I reckon that Paul was on the right track when I first started this thread...

Here's a thought Bolty

Alas (for the purposes of a chain tension checker) my son has been tasked and he came up trumps with this exhaust heat shield...

A few weeks ago I burned my pants on the exhaust, not sure how as I couldn't work out what position I must have been in to burn them, hey ho, pants duly repaired and son primed to design something to fit the bike to stop this happening, after some problems getting the graphic into his works Cad software he came up trumps...

Laser cut from 3mm stainless sheet, rolled to correct diameter on some machine that they use at his works and then it was blasted and dipped in some solution or other (it's not his dept but it is a finish that they use on the products they make)
One thing comes to mind though, is it a coincidence that this dooberrywiz works as a 70mm checker? is it possible that Honda knew all along that the chain should be set at 70mm rather than the 40mm that is plastered on the swing arm?

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i use a strip of spring steel i bought in a car boot sale once for 50p i think it was. it has some sort of mystical symbols etched on both sides that tell me how far apart things are- i think its called a "steel rule"?? ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have I missed something here?

To check the chain tension I press it up to just touch the black band on the swinging arm (AT) which holds on the chainslipper . Done.

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have I missed something here?

To check the chain tension I press it up to just touch the black band on the swinging arm (AT) which holds on the chainslipper . Done.
Dunno, you might have, what does this method show? I.E. how much slack do you have when you can just touch the rubber band?

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well bingo old bean! I'll try that myself and if it works I'll chuck out my custom bit of two by one in the bin!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts