Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently changed both standard Honda front and rear wheel rims for Excel ones.

I have a 21 x 1.85 on the front with a standard 90/90-21 tyre and a 4.25 x 17 on the back with a 150/70-17 tyre fitted.

My question is do I need to advise my insurance company of the changes for insurance cover for the new rims or due to having non-standard tyre and rim fitments?

Ian.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The standard rim size fitment on a 2001 RD07A Africa Twin is AFAIK is front 21 x 1.85 and rear 17 x 3.00 with standard 90/90-21 tyre up front and standard 140/80-17 tyre on the rear.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Easiest answer is a quick call to your insurers. They shouldn't charge you for this and far better safe than sorry.
I did when I changed from disc to drum.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just called my insurer Bennett's to advise of the front and rear wheels and rear tyre changes and they have said they will need to get the special quotes team to call me back and may levy a £30 admin charge for an admin change on my policy.

If they do I will be dumping them next year!

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
I was with Bennetts for years. Each year, calls to them were nightmares! Switch to Carole Nash a few years ago. Some calls still a pain, but generally very good and often hear of great support from their claims dept.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah had claim with Carole Nash for a motorcycle some years ago now and they were great but their premiums have been a bit salty recently but I guess you get what you pay for so they are likely to get my business next time round even if they are not the cheapest.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Bear in mind they include overseas break down which you might not need, but we do use it.... Not at the minute with the Tunnel nightmare!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well good news and bad news the good news they didnt charge me any excess for the new wider rims and wider rear tyre or the aftermarket end can being added. The bad news being that they did charge me £30 for the admin change. So in the grand scheme would have been better with a more expensive policy that didnt have such a hefty admin charge.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Well good news and bad news the good news they didnt charge me any excess for the new wider rims and wider rear tyre or the aftermarket end can being added. The bad news being that they did charge me £30 for the admin change. So in the grand scheme would have been better with a more expensive policy that didnt have such a hefty admin charge.
Carole Nash have a £25 admin charge now.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
What have they charged the admin fee for!!!! Change from them to someone else, or phone them again, say drop the fee or you will definitely change next time!

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Well good news and bad news the good news they didn't charge me any excess for the new wider rims and wider rear tyre or the aftermarket end can being added. The bad news being that they did charge me £30 for the admin change. So in the grand scheme would have been better with a more expensive policy that didn't have such a hefty admin charge.
They should have known already that the change is not performance enhancing so made no difference to the premium, therefore there only admin involved is them bothering the underwriter to ask something they should have already known.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Chris,

The broker did have to contact the underwriter to get approval as my policy allows three modifications in total and these two took me over that limit.

Ian.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
That's the problem with Bennetts. Others are more flexible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts