Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

I'm playing with the idea of removing the windscreen, front cowl, side fairings (on the tank), headlights and instruments.

Then put single/double headlights, and digital instruments, directly on to the fork or fork mounting parts
And custom-make some short side-fairings to at least cover the sides of the radiator.

Has anyone done this before?

Any suggestions to what LED headlight/mountings that are suitable, or what digital speedometer that might fit my bike.?

Honda Africa Twin XRV750 rdo7a 2001.

Appreciate any tip :)

Regards
Anders

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did something similar but with very few off the shelf parts...
I put on a rally fairing with a custom aluminum front subframe. I bought from ebay some double 4" headlights which emitted less light than my phone's torch... I ditched them when a colleague of mine replaced his Mondeo mk4 HID projectors. I got them recoated on the inside at a local shop and put chinese LED bulbs for D2s. The light pattern was OK and then I started the rest of the project. The light in my garage is awful and the photos are crap... sorry about that :)

I made the whole assembly to pivot so I can adjust the headlight angle. At first I thought I can make it with a bicycle cable and some turn adjuster but a friend jokingly said - do it electric and then I remembered I had some high torque RC servos. I sealed one with silicone and aluminum tape and put a potentiometer to adjust it. The projectors were sealed with silicone from the front and the rest - again alu tape. They are designed to be put inside the car headlight enclosure so they are not exactly weather tight and I don't have space to put any enclosure... Since the bulbs are somewhat sealed I decided to risk it.. A covid year and some 7000 km later to everyone's(even mine) astonishment everything still works :D

Then came the speedo... The old one was not going to fit and I didn't like all of the available digital ones. I even made the financial decision for the top end Trailtech but still I didn't like the display arrangement. Then I found a Nextion 5" LCD in the office and gave it a go to see what will come out of it. I ordered a sensor which replaces the speedometer cable which goes inside an atmega microcontroller alongside with the engine temperature sensor, an air temperature sensor(I wanted this for some years now) and engine rpm from the CDI. Everything was mounted on some 3d printed parts out of PETG and spraypainted mainly for UV protection of the plastic. The display has a 2mm polycarbonate sheet which was sealed with silicone. I put 3 buttons on the lower back for trip reset and setting the time. The display has a RTC so it takes care the clock is accurate. I can supply the solidworks 3d files if anyone is interested.

This winter I found some time to put a WP fork which I bought from a colleague here in the forum. There are some photos in the album from that.

I wanted to make a separate thread about my mods, but this has been delayed for some .... 12 months now :D

Here are some random photos and videos: XRV

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did something similar but with very few off the shelf parts...
I put on a rally fairing with a custom aluminum front subframe. I bought from ebay some double 4" headlights which emitted less light than my phone's torch... I ditched them when a colleague of mine replaced his Mondeo mk4 HID projectors. I got them recoated on the inside at a local shop and put chinese LED bulbs for D2s. The light pattern was OK and then I started the rest of the project. The light in my garage is awful and the photos are crap... sorry about that :)

I made the whole assembly to pivot so I can adjust the headlight angle. At first I thought I can make it with a bicycle cable and some turn adjuster but a friend jokingly said - do it electric and then I remembered I had some high torque RC servos. I sealed one with silicone and aluminum tape and put a potentiometer to adjust it. The projectors were sealed with silicone from the front and the rest - again alu tape. They are designed to be put inside the car headlight enclosure so they are not exactly weather tight and I don't have space to put any enclosure... Since the bulbs are somewhat sealed I decided to risk it.. A covid year and some 7000 km later to everyone's(even mine) astonishment everything still works :D

Then came the speedo... The old one was not going to fit and I didn't like all of the available digital ones. I even made the financial decision for the top end Trailtech but still I didn't like the display arrangement. Then I found a Nextion 5" LCD in the office and gave it a go to see what will come out of it. I ordered a sensor which replaces the speedometer cable which goes inside an atmega microcontroller alongside with the engine temperature sensor, an air temperature sensor(I wanted this for some years now) and engine rpm from the CDI. Everything was mounted on some 3d printed parts out of PETG and spraypainted mainly for UV protection of the plastic. The display has a 2mm polycarbonate sheet which was sealed with silicone. I put 3 buttons on the lower back for trip reset and setting the time. The display has a RTC so it takes care the clock is accurate. I can supply the solidworks 3d files if anyone is interested.

This winter I found some time to put a WP fork which I bought from a colleague here in the forum. There are some photos in the album from that.

I wanted to make a separate thread about my mods, but this has been delayed for some .... 12 months now :D

Here are some random photos and videos: XRV
Thanks for a thorough description and nice ideas :)
Good luck with your project.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts