Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What a b*gger to get the shock out. Haynes says undo bottom bolt, undo top bolt, and pull out to the left - yeah right. How the hell can you get to the top bolt without removing the tank?

Anyway old shock finally removed and I found this rot on the swingarm. The rust is on the swingarm where it is on top of the catalytic convertor. What are my options? Secondhand unit? Anyone got one? I guess a claim for a free new one from Honda is out of the question? I am shocked that it is rotten.

I seem to be suddenly throwing money at this bike now.....

EDIT - I GOT A SWINGARM ON EBAY.........

Cheers

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of rust.

Was it hidden behind a load of crap or was it already a hole there when you looked. My old Landy had a habit of rusting like that where all the crap from laning got over it, I used to cringe sometimes when poking around just dreading it in case a hole appeared!

I'll take a look at my swingarm in the morning I think! I see you got one off ebay, looks like there are quite few on there doesn't it, just as well. What year is your TA?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
That is one thing I checked very carefully last year, I hate the idea of rust getting to hidden parts and eating its way through the bike.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow, that's a lot of rust.

Was it hidden behind a load of crap or was it already a hole there when you looked. My old Landy had a habit of rusting like that where all the crap from laning got over it, I used to cringe sometimes when poking around just dreading it in case a hole appeared!

I'll take a look at my swingarm in the morning I think! I see you got one off ebay, looks like there are quite few on there doesn't it, just as well. What year is your TA?
Its hidden by the cat, but as soon as I had the shock off I pushed the arm up away from the cat and there was the hole. I only pushed it up because I was looking for a collar that fell from the top of the shock! I am guess the close proximity and heat from the cat does it. Its the ideal place for crap to gather. I am tempted to ditch the cat for headers now - good excuse! Mines a 2003.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm wondering whether the chain adjusters had been installed upside down?

If you look closely, there is a hole or notch in the chain adjuster plate, that basically plugs the hole in the end of the swinging arm, that should be at the bottom.

Just a guess.
Not sure what you mean but I'll check on reassembly. I believe this rotted from the outside in anycase..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope the new one is being powdercoated before going on, some waxoyl inside might be an idea also
Phil,

I dont think it rotted from the inside, i believe the cat is the issue. Any moisture inside would drain down to the chain tensioner end?

Unfortunately I need the bike for work so its going straight back together.

Cheers

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the old one off, and before anyone says anything I've ordered 2ltrs of Muc Off!!!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
As long as there is some good steel on that side weld a new plate right across the whole piece making sure you brace the arm apart first or your need smaller hub spacers;)
Once done and painted drill a drain out hole and squirt loads of under seal into the cavity to stop it rusting through again.
It is only a brace to stop arms twisting another plate will only make it stronger than std.
And yes I have done this sort of thing before and it worked a treat:thumb:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Just wondering if you have been off road? considered the possibility off acid in the crap thats been left on the swingarm from cow **** or peat bog, or could it just be rock salt. In any case its as well you found it!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As long as there is some good steel on that side weld a new plate right across the whole piece making sure you brace the arm apart first or your need smaller hub spacers;)
Once done and painted drill a drain out hole and squirt loads of under seal into the cavity to stop it rusting through again.
It is only a brace to stop arms twisting another plate will only make it stronger than std.
And yes I have done this sort of thing before and it worked a treat:thumb:
Thanks for the tip but I got one on ebay for £40 posted so sorted now - assuming it arrives ok.

As I said, it appears to have rotted from the outside, so I dont see the point of protecting inside and drain hole? I may be wrong...

A good indication of whether you may have a problem lurking is to remove the chain tensioners and see if there is any loose rust in the end. I saw some ages ago and never thought anything of it! Presumably it has flaked off the pivot end of the arm and travelled down each arm.

No, although it looks like it, the bike has never been off road. Its used 365 days a year for commuting and rarely gets a wash! I think you realised that already!

Cheers

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Glad you found one anyway, I've been looking for a Katana 550mx swinging arm fer ages now .
If you think your old one is bad you would'nt believe what I found when I took me suzukis one off it was really really nasty.
I was lucky when I decided to strip the bike down for a refit and paint:happy6:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts