Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on the best way to keep bike upright, serious question as I am a long way from any bike garage...

New Battlax 020 on its way to me now.:thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
If you're at home or near civilisation:-

Car jack and a strong piece of wood underneath

Axle stands

If not:-

When we've been out on the trails I have used bricks off a dry stone wall and replaced them when finished

Good luck with breaking the bead !!

·
2,701 Posts
As paul said, block of wood, brick's, rock's, or sidestand and strong stick under right hand side footrest (front or rear), or just carefully lay it on it's side (so spindle comes out upward's).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Worked out ok in the end, could not break the bead so went to friend with bead breaking machine. Fitting new tyre was easy.
Block of wood under riders foot peg worked out OK too.
Cheers

Thanks for that link though I will remember that, so easy when you think of it...

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
bead breaker=G-clamp

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Two bead breakers for you guys out there, one, I use is my high lift jack for the Land rover, under the front bumper and the foot on to the edge of the tyre! Crank the jack and the bead pops off, can't hold up the Landrover!
Two, the mighty Varadero side stand! If you use a trolley jack to lift the swinging arm to take the back wheel off you can then lift the bike off the side stand, slide the wheel under the side stand and the weight of the bike will break the bead.
I recall one of my bikes came with a metal bar under the seat, the previous owner told me it was the jack! ????:confused::confused:
Turns out it fitted under the swinging arm and held the rear wheel off the ground for tyre changing! Not sure if it was standard equipment or a home made thing! Damned thing worked though!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts