Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the excellent demonstration performed by Pete Kay on FewTrees rear tyre in a Glasgow suburb on the Haggis trip, I have been looking at tyre leavers and methods of breaking the bead on the rear tyre.

I could not believe it when The "G" clamp Pete Kay used was actually bent.
I did some shopping around for similar tools, and found after market bead breakers advertised in Busters Accessories (link below)

https://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/products.asp?id=131&pg=4

Has anyone used these?

Might just buy a big G Clamp and try that.

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
The AT front tyre is not a problem, you almost don't need tyre levers for that one.

The rear is a different matter. I tried G Clamps, etc. when I changed mine, all to no avail. In the end I took the wheel to the local bike shop and they removed it for me.

I later read a post about using the weight of the AT through the carefully positioned side stand (sounds like Yen Zen to me?). I'm gonna try that next time I change the rear. It's always handy being able to fix a puncture 'on the road'.

Funnily enough, fitting the new rear tyre was a doddle, even easier than the front I thought. :wink:

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
Just keep in mind that you can actually break a side stand before the bead goes, then my AT friends you sitting with a slight parking problem :shock:

I was looking at those funny tyre levers on the Touratech site but don't know if they act as bead breakers as well.

Would not even know where to stick what end in first :roll:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I honestly don`t have any problem getting the rear tyre of mine i spray loads and i mean loads of WD40 around the tyre/rim area then leave for 1 hour and then use my levers which are about 8 inches long. Give it ago it works for me :D

Bill

·
Registered
71 Posts
Muckybill said:
I honestly don`t have any problem getting the rear tyre of mine i spray loads and i mean loads of WD40 around the tyre/rim area then leave for 1 hour and then use my levers which are about 8 inches long. Give it ago it works for me :D

Bill
Although WD40 may work very well for removing and installing a tire, I think you may want to find an alternative to WD40 and here is why.

WD40 is a lubricant. Until it evaporates, if it ever does in this case, it is on the wheel-to-tire interface. Doing a hard stop using the rear brake after a recent tire installation using WD40, may cause the tire to roll on the rim and not provide the stopping effectiveness you were hoping for.

Perhaps that is one reason automobile tire shops apply a thick soapy liquid on the tire's bead before installing the tire on a wheel.

Just an observation.

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
For tyres: I find Fairy Liquid mixed with water works well.

For Sex: I find vaseline is good - on the door knob to keep the kids out.

Boom boom!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts