Honda XRV Forum banner
9K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  650 Fred 
#1 ·
Just fitted one of these from gammatronix. £18 from fleabay
Technology Font Auto part Circle Electronic device

I wont bother you with with the fitting pictures cos basically I didn't take any, The unit is mounted via cable ties to my GPS bracket and the cables attached direct to the battery and one to switched feed. The unit is permanently live, without the ignition on the unit flashes:cool: once the engine is running the green LED glows happily.

You can see it mounted at 2 O'Clock from the rev counter.

Charging Mode (Ignition on)

Red Green Flash >15,2v
Green 13,2v
Yellow 11,8v
Yellow Flash 11,5v
Red 11,2v
Red Flash <11,2v

Without ignition the unit flashes green when the battery has a 12,5v charge then flashes yellow when the charge drops toward 12,1v and flashes red if the charge is below 12,1v

If I had one fitted before the HUBB meet I would have known my RegRec was goosed. I was lucky no cables let the smoke out.

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks a good bit of kit Nickel Arse. What is the power consumption. I mean if you leave the bike for a week, could the fact it's permanently live be more of a problem in draining the battery?

#3 ·
According to the makers

Power Consumption : 0.01Amps nominal when riding, 0.0005Amps in storage - Almost nothing!

It has got an in-line fuse so if the bike was to be laid up for a while you could pull the fuse. but to be honest if the bike is laid up the battery should be on a trickle or disconected

#5 ·
Just fitted one of these from gammatronix. £18 from fleabay
View attachment 37298

If I had one fitted before the HUBB meet I would have known my RegRec was goosed. I was lucky no cables let the smoke out.

And what would you have been able to do about it in a field miles from anywhere? is it not just another gizmo to feed paranoia and give you something else to fuss and worry about each time the led changes colour

#6 ·
As i said, I was lucky and the smoke stayed in my wires. I had close to 20 volts running through the system, that could have fried the whole bike.
Its a review not a compulsory purchase.

sent from my thingy, using whatchamacallit

#8 ·
I too have fitted a couple of items similar to these, IMHO they don't feed paranoia, they give you an insight into the state of the charging system at a glance - a bit like a temperature or fuel gauge would.....

The only downside for me, there are too many colour changes.
I'd much prefer something like:
↓ 12v: Orange
12v ~ 14.8v: Green
↑ 14.8v : Red

Phil

sent from my 'phone

#9 ·
I use something similar. They are a bit like a fire alarm. They let you know of a problem in time for you to react?

#10 ·
I have developed one for the forum. It works like this:

Green: useful comment

Amber: Vader comment

Red: JasonBC comment

;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.