Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok folks, i did read all the threads i could find before posting, please bear with me!
started having starting problems two days ago, battery(brand new) not enough juice to swing her over fast enough, then after few tries the krrr kicks in. i know that under normal conditions i can swing her over for 15 to 20 mins before having to worry bout the battery.

starts no problem if i jumpstart, or right after charging with normal 12v battery charger.

just started troubleshooting, found no amp drain on live, then tested incoming charge
reading 18v @ 1200rpm and 23v @ 2500 rpm!
so likely fried battery with overcharging.

checked the starter relay switch, and found it to be connected, but fried completely. the main 30A fuse disintegrated when i removed it, but it must have worked otherwise there could not have been any power at all.
the RED and RED/WHITE wires on the switch are the most fried.

soooo.....
after reading all other issues about the rectifyer/regulator playing up, is this another symptom of that? anything else i need to check?
it will be difficult for me to find the replacement part here, so how do i make sure im doing the right thing?
i hate electrics!
thanks chaps.
joe

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lutin, is there any way to actually test the damn thing? and lacking a honda shop, what alternatives can i use?
only have yammie and ktm shops here.
cheers

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
lutin, is there any way to actually test the damn thing? and lacking a honda shop, what alternatives can i use?
cheers

Unfortunately, not easily. The input to the regulator / rectifier (R/R) is three phase AC. (Actually that should be rectifier / regulator as the rectifier comes first - typical engineering nerdishness :D.)

So, to be able to test it you will need a three phase AC supply. You might be able to test it by borrowing someone else's bike and temporarily connecting your R/R to their bike - after disconnecting their R/R first.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
cheers
Trust me, yours is dead. Testing the output is no higher than around 14.8v is one of the tests and yours has failed. You don't need any more testing on it if it's allowing the voltage to go up to 23v!

You can use a Yamaha R1 or R6 regulator unit as well as many others. There are some posts on this forum about it somewhere. Replace any connectors that look burnt and any wires that look burnt and hopefully you've caught it before damaging the ECU.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok!!!! will stop testing! just now started reading bout the posibility to blow cdi's etc.
thanks to all the usual suspects for giving me a heads up! (hopefully in time, as she still runs nicely when started).
will go and chat to the yammy folks in town to see if they can order me one. just bloody painfull as it will take ages from south africa, and i get withdrawl symptoms! new battery as well, sits on 16v and when i load it, drops to 8v. so kooked that too!
thanks i got the link to the triumph charging system dignostics. when i get new unit i will check if the wiring is not too round for my flat head.
cheers chaps
:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts