Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm off on a long journey on my 2002 XR and was looking at buying a solar monkey charger for my mobile phone and camera etc.

Then I thought maybe an output socket from the wiring harness might just give enough power to charge these things. Anyone ever fitted a output electrical socket to their XR? I'm also not sure what type of charger adaptor would be necessary to connect it to the mobile phone etc.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
if you have the indicator wiring on yours you could pick up the DC supply for that
the lights are AC so no good for you :thumbup:

Reactions: Nazgul

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I didn't now that. Yes, I have the indicator wiring in place on my XR. I was just looking at the wiring diagram again in the back of the handbook and it looks like the flasher wires connect to the live, the same as the headlight, from the alternator. So there's something somewhere that changes the alternating current to direct current for the indicators.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recently done this mod on my XR4. Purchased a waterproof USB socket from Ebay, mounted it on the handlebars, wired it into the loom behind the headlight. I connected it to the indicator circuit and a spare earth terminal (dont have indicators fitted to the bike). Before connecting I verified the voltage across the terminals - it was 12v +/- 1V (dependant on the revs of the engine). The socket I used will work on a wide range of voltages up to 24VDC, I believe this should be useful as the 12V output of the XR isnt that well regulated.
I connected my Iphone 5 and it seemed to charge fine. However Ive yet to take the bike out for a long ride to monitor its performance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds perfect. Many thanks for this really useful information. I'll buy a waterproof USB socket and give it a go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Recently done this mod on my XR4. Purchased a waterproof USB socket from Ebay, mounted it on the handlebars, wired it into the loom behind the headlight. I connected it to the indicator circuit and a spare earth terminal (dont have indicators fitted to the bike). Before connecting I verified the voltage across the terminals - it was 12v +/- 1V (dependant on the revs of the engine). The socket I used will work on a wide range of voltages up to 24VDC, I believe this should be useful as the 12V output of the XR isnt that well regulated.
I connected my Iphone 5 and it seemed to charge fine. However Ive yet to take the bike out for a long ride to monitor its performance.
Superb mod - just done mine too. Thank you

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
@TenereAddict I've done this with an i phone 5 for a few years now with no problems, you just need to find a black wire for the 12v + and a green wire for the ground if your wiring is standard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts