Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps

It's been a while :(

Took wifeys Transalp 650 for a spin today in our wonderfully cold UK climate. Had a great ride and was nice to reaquaint myself with the wee Honda.

I had the microDE fog lights on and the heated grips. On the way home it started spluttering when opening the throttle. Got home fine but the battery is flat :mad::mad::mad:

So, I would think the alternator is capable of handling the power requirements of these few extras, if this is true, what shoul I be looking for? The batter charges fine and is relatively new so it's not the battery.

Only things I can think is regulator or alternator but wuld like to hear your comments. What's gonna be the best way of pinning it down without spending uneccessary cash. Battery charges fine without the rips and foglights so I guess it points more to the alternator :confused::confused::confused:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hi peeps

It's been a while :(

Took wifeys Transalp 650 for a spin today in our wonderfully cold UK climate. Had a great ride and was nice to reaquaint myself with the wee Honda.

I had the microDE fog lights on and the heated grips. On the way home it started spluttering when opening the throttle. Got home fine but the battery is flat :mad::mad::mad:

So, I would think the alternator is capable of handling the power requirements of these few extras, if this is true, what shoul I be looking for? The batter charges fine and is relatively new so it's not the battery.

Only things I can think is regulator or alternator but wuld like to hear your comments. What's gonna be the best way of pinning it down without spending uneccessary cash. Battery charges fine without the rips and foglights so I guess it points more to the alternator :confused::confused::confused:

When the fog lights were wired in did you wire them in directly or through a relay, a relay is the best option. Put a multimeter on amps and measure the current with everything turned off, then turn on the grips see the amps then turn on the fogs and see what current is being drawn with everything running.

To measure amps you would need either a dc clamp meter and clamp the negative cable at the battery or if you have a multimeter put it on amps take the neutral cable off the battery screw the black probe to the battery negative and the red probe to the neutral cable (preferably with a croc clip) and start the meter on the 10A setting

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hi Flipfly
a simple test with a digital multimeter should quickly show if the alternator is feeding the battery adequately.... simply set the meter to the 20 volts dc scale and connect the meter to the bike battery. it should show something between 12 - 13 volts dc now start the bike engine and this figure should go up to between 13.5 - 14.5 volts now start switching all of your electrical devices on one by one and keep an eye on the meter reading it should stay above 13 volts and even when you revv up the engine it shouldn't go above whatever the alternator is regulated at which is usually 14.5 volts or thereabouts if the alternator is lame you will see the battery voltage drop below 12 volts or lower depending on how good condition your battery is in... thi9s test will be a lot easier if your transalp is pre 2004 as after that time the lights come on with the ignition before you crank the engine so all your voltage readings will be down anyway because of this but o0nce the engine is cranked and staqted the situation will be the same and a lame alternator will still show up as described above....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks peeps. By the sounds of it the alternator should be able to handle the load that the heated grips and fogs put on the charging system. Heated grips use 2 amps (whatever that means :confused:).

The fogs run through a relay and are switched seperately so I can turn them off.

The battery is less than a year old and is a sealed unit so should be ok.

Will have a go with the multimeter and see what happens, don't know when I'll get the time though!!!

Thanks for your help so far. Any other ideas please shout up :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It could very well be a charging problem. Caused not by the load or the state of battery but by the state of the wiring, If the Earth return is corroded it will have the same effect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the bike is not capable of running everything. with fogs on the charge volts will drop from 13.6v (average) to just below 12v.

i used a super duper ammeter on mine recently after having the same issues. normally the charge current supplied to the battery (with everything off) is appx 4 amps. with the headlight and fogs on this falls to 0.7 amps at 12v.

this is not enough to run lamps and charge the battery at the same time so it will go flat if you have the extra lamps on. it's too much load.

my solution is to change my fog bulbs (55w H3 - which draw 5-6 amps each) to LED ones. i just ordered them so i'll let you know the outcome when i get them. i got mine on ebay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts