Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

A quick question: if I've connected the optimate to the bike using the accessory socket on the instrument panel, does the ignition switch need to be in the "ON" position?

Purchased the adapter to connect to the socket because it saves having to pull the bash plate off...

It's an '07 990 Adventure...

Also, if the battery went flat with the alarm armed, will the alarm go off once I switch the ignition to "ON"? Right now, the alarm isn't responding to the remote at all (then again, the little light isn't flashing either).

Any help greatly appreciated, since I should get my Belgian plate this week (finally, fingers crossed & all that!).

JB

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
if you turn the ignition on does your headlight come on? if so theres no point trying to charge like that.

if the power in the socket is on with the ignition off then its connected to the battery and you can charge through it. some are some arent.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
When you fit the accesory socket to a KTM there are two options that exist on the standard wiring loom. (assuming you've used the existing KTM 990 wiring behind the dash)

One option gives you a permanent 12v feed to the socket, the other option gives an ignition switched 12v circuit to the socket.

You should be able to easily figure out which option was wired by plugging something into the socket. If it's on without a key in the ignition, the socket is in effect connected directly to a permanent live circuit, which means you could charge the bike by plugging an Optimate into the accesory socket.

Bob :thumbup:

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you fit the accesory socket to a KTM there are two options that exist on the standard wiring loom. (assuming you've used the existing KTM 990 wiring behind the dash)

One option gives you a permanent 12v feed to the socket, the other option gives an ignition switched 12v circuit to the socket.

You should be able to easily figure out which option was wired by plugging something into the socket. If it's on without a key in the ignition, the socket is in effect connected directly to a permanent live circuit, which means you could charge the bike by plugging an Optimate into the accesory socket.

Bob :thumbup:
The bike came with the socket fitted, so I don't know which of the options it's connected to.

When I connect the optimate, it starts the "Bulk Charging Phase", and after some time, it starts to do the "Verification Phase". It should start the verification when the battery reaches 13.6V, but at no point was the bike responding to button presses on the alarm remote.

On a side note, maybe I should check if the remote's battery is still alive (the alarm should give off a different beep if the remote battery is running low). I'll connect the optimate again this evening when I get home (don't like it being connected when I'm not there, at least not until I know it charges properly).

Fingers crossed!

JB

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Does the KTM accessory sockets run of CAN BUS like the BMW's? as you can not charge new type Beemers because of this problem. ASK Wee Jack?
If as Boba has said is your accessory socket is wired direct to battery then she should charge. stick a meter on the battery to get the correct reading dont rely on chargers to give an accurate battery out put.
If the bike battery is flat it will usually take 6 > 8 hrs to charge a complete cycle. if after this period the battery is probably kerfuked.

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woohoo!

According to the optimate the battery is fully charged and holding its charge!

I don't dare start since it's late and I don't know if the alarm will trip (don't want the neighbours to lynch me). Will try tomorrow, when hopefully my plate has come in as well!!!

Fingers crossed,

JB

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
JB - there was an optimate lead wired to that bike it was tiewraped to the frame on the right hand side.

The ignition switched accessory lead was used to power the heated grips. The "non switched" accessory lead was never used between 2007 and 2009.

Does that help ?

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JB - there was an optimate lead wired to that bike it was tiewraped to the frame on the right hand side.

The ignition switched accessory lead was used to power the heated grips. The "non switched" accessory lead was never used between 2007 and 2009.

Does that help ?
Hi Jack,

This evening I'll know if she starts (should since the optimate says the battery is now full). If she does, the connection through the accessory socket works fine. If not, I have one of those leads you mention, and I'll connect it as you describe.

If my plate arrives today, and the bike starts, I'm afraid I'll spend the evening on the bike instead of watching the Dutch play Uruguay :)

JB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts