Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know Alan in person but as Pete has said, we are all one big family here, and Alan was a good contributor to our community and not to mention, carer for his wife and family. I'm shocked to hear of his death. I'm wondering whether there is anything we can do that goes beyond just words to either raise money to help Alan's family or to support the cause of MS research/care?

I'm not sure about resurrecting TLD - endurance riding is not my forte - though if others wanted to do so, I'd be happy to help with the organisation (but not the riding). Or whether anyone has ideas for other fund raising events that we could organise in tribute. I'd be happy to help out, though I don't know what relevant talents I have to offer, other than a willingness to work hard.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Not the start to 2013 we'd have liked :(:(:(

Lou

·
Stone Crazy
5,304 Posts
Well said Lulu . I dont have any ideas at the moment,
Merv

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I would be interested in something to do with MS. My brother in law lost his wife to it, she was his focus, he nursed her all the way. A real hero.
After he lost her we involved ourselves with a fundrasing event kicked off by a work colleague of mine who had also lost someone close from the same condition.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Great idea Lulu, all I can think of at the moment due to the wide graphical locations of everyone is that maybe regional groups do things and then put anything raised in one big pot:)

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
The Slow Race at the National Meet was very popular.

Could we organise some regional meets / heats for slow races? Post live results to XRV for the overall winners?

Maybe try involving your local bike training firm to host the event at their training ground? Would need to standardise a course for length, width, bends etc - make it a fixed charge per attempt rather than sponsorship.

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am liking these ideas :thumbup:. The idea of a decentralised / regional model is appealing, not least because it could be a lot less bureaucratic to organise. Perhaps we nominate the MS Society as XRV charity for 2013, and, as Jason says, put monies raised from a range of events or just individual donations into the one big pot. So, for example, we could have a raffle at one meet, a slow race at the National, an ongoing 'guess how many times Lulu will drop her bike this month' competition :rolleyes: (and will she remember to wear her bike boots for the next meet...? Those who were at the Jelly's breakfast meet will know what I'm talking about). It's true that we won't raise the kind of really big bucks that we might do with external sponsorship like for TLD, but it still feels more useful than sitting on the sidelines doing nothing.

Perhaps start by thinking about the Welsh Invasion - charge an extra £1 for the Saturday night chilli, or perhaps better still those of us who aren't able to go could each donate a small forfeit for our absence? I'm sure there are better ideas out there, but just to get the ball rolling...

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
Good idea Lou,

We have a very close friend who has MS so know what it can be like to have someone close living with it, as I'm sure many of us do.

Is it worth setting up a Just Giving site so anyone who wants to donate/run an event has somwhere where we can collect centrally?

I'm not sure what events would be suitable though.

Would Alisdair have a collecting tin at Jellys?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk HD

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TLD '13? Dungeness to Durness (or v.v.)?
Hi Philip. Was just thinking last night that we'd not heard from you recently - but resurfacing just when needed :). I don't know whether or not there is an appetite for another TLD - it seemed to fall out of favour. If it were to be resurrected in Alan's memory with fund raising for MS, I'd be happy to help with organisation, but not as a rider (it took me a day to recover from riding to Jelly's last weekend!). It certainly would up the ante as far as the fund raising is concerned. Perhaps (dare I say it?) a poll is in order?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
June 22nd 2013

6:00 AM
Depart Wanlockhead inn ML12 6UZ
Ride past Miners head CA9 3PF
then Tan hill inn DL11 6ED
then Kirkstone pass inn LA22 9LQ
then Cat and Fiddle SK11 0AR
then The new inn SK17 OSW
then The winking man ST13 8 UH
Finishing at The Warren house inn PL20 6TA, the eight top (highest) pubs in the uk,
Generous TomTom times are 11:30 hrs motorway arrive approx 5:30PM and 16:20 none motorway arrive approx 21:20,(not 22:20 because you should beat the TomTom time for none motorway by at least an hour), find your own accommodation.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I'm happy to try to work out a standard slow control course that could be replicated nationwide. Perhaps we could hold the final at the National?

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
June 22nd 2013

6:00 AM
Depart Wanlockhead inn ML12 6UZ
Ride past Miners head CA9 3PF
then Tan hill inn DL11 6ED
then Kirkstone pass inn LA22 9LQ
then Cat and Fiddle SK11 0AR
then The new inn SK17 OSW
then The winking man ST13 8 UH
Finishing at The Warren house inn PL20 6TA, the eight top (highest) pubs in the uk,
Generous TomTom times are 11:30 hrs motorway arrive approx 5:30PM and 16:20 none motorway arrive approx 21:20,(not 22:20 because you should beat the TomTom time for none motorway by at least an hour), find your own accommodation.
I'm happy to try to work out a standard slow control course that could be replicated nationwide. Perhaps we could hold the final at the National?
It's good when a plan comes together. Doesn't have to be one or the other - let's do both! Is there enough interest to make these ideas come to fruition? I'd need some help (PDS?) in organising a TLD but where there's a will there's a way....

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
What's to organise about the eight highest pubs?, sort your own accommodation and turn up, those of us already booked onto this are booked into a wigwam at the wanlockhead inn on the Friday and the East dart hotel PL20 6TJ on the Saturday night, maybe if there's lots of interest we could have stickers and/or T-shirts, other than that lets keep it simple. :blob4:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's to organise about the eight highest pubs?, sort your own accommodation and turn up, those of us already booked onto this are booked into a wigwam at the wanlockhead inn on the Friday and the East dart hotel PL20 6TJ on the Saturday night, maybe if there's lots of interest we could have stickers and/or T-shirts, other than that lets keep it simple. :blob4:
Yep, all for keeping it simple, but a bit of a novice in all this so aware there may be issues that my little old (naive) self may not have thought about. Believe me, I'm happy to keep as backroom role as possible, enough on my plate just keeping myself together :rolleyes:. If it's as simple as folk just turning up to do it and arranging their own sponsorship that's cool with me :thumbup:

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Update on the slow race. Wouldn't have been able to make it to Alan's funeral today. So instead I have started the ball rolling.

Made contact with the local branch of the MS Society. George, the chap I spoke to, seemed very keen. He is forwarding an email I sent him outlining the idea and the reason for it to the local committee, so that they can mull it over and let me know how involved they would like to be in the event.

Also had an email conversation with the local bike training centre (tried phoning but no-one was in today - surprise!). Whilst looking for their email address I discovered that last year they ran a series of slow races raising money for 2 charities. Anyhow, they are planning a series again this year, usually June/July time, and would be happy to have MS as the co-charity to the one they have already chosen. Result!

Obviously it's not all cut & dried yet, but it's looking good! :D

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fantastic mick. This is excellent news. Will be having a similar conversation with Charnwood to see if we can do something similar. Did you discuss the possibility of a Just Giving page with the charity?

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I've been in contact with Scott

Alan was a keen walker and Scott will join me an anyone else for a walk up Snowdon to take and scatter Alan's ashes

Date and time to be firmed up yet

We can do this for MS too

My thinking would be to do the Llanberis path that follows the train track so not too steep and anyone who wants to get the train can do and meet us at the top

1 - 20 of 45 Posts