Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Fantastic mick. This is excellent news. Will be having a similar conversation with Charnwood to see if we can do something similar. Did you discuss the possibility of a Just Giving page with the charity?
Just Giving ...... er, no. Haven't the faintest idea of how to set one up. Will look into it and discuss it with them as and when they get in touch with me.

Will be popping down to Triskelion Training some time soon to have a chat about the event.

Good luck with Charnwood :thumbright:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Yes yes yes

I'm most certainly in

Can we set a date so I can.book the time off

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

We can discuss this over some Chile !! See you in a few weeks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
I am Jamie Alan's other son currently riding a XLV125 Varadero 2012 in White, Something that could go along with the Snowdon walk he was always fond over the East Coast around Great Yarmouth & the Broads in Norfolk/North Suffolk.

An idea..

day before walk:

depart Lords Lane, Bradwell Great Yarmouth
travel to Yarmouth Seafront and make tracks towards A47 to Norwich
take the A11 & A14 towards Cambridge
contiuning on the A14 until Catthorpe Interchange & head through Catthorpe Village to the A5
Take the A5 to Capel Curig via Shrewsbury etc... & take the A4086 towards Snowdonia National Park

estimations non stop this would take around 7hours with good breaks i guess 8hours in a estmination of time with good speed/traffic.
Total Miles 296.

The reason for the long winded route is because when Me, Scott, Mum & my Dad went to the Coast we always went via the A14/A11/A47 & connecting into this we form a old daily communte my Dad made between J10 & J1 of the A14 which is spent many hours on traveling & stuck in traffic!

Please share views on the idea.

I've been in contact with Scott

Alan was a keen walker and Scott will join me an anyone else for a walk up Snowdon to take and scatter Alan's ashes

Date and time to be firmed up yet

We can do this for MS too

My thinking would be to do the Llanberis path that follows the train track so not too steep and anyone who wants to get the train can do and meet us at the top

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Fantastic idea Lulu

I did a 3 peaks last year for MS and Alan was very supportive in rounding up some support

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/charity-events/81244-3-peaks-walk-ms-4.html

If anyone fancies it I would be happy to take any XRVers or anyone else to tag along and do a walk up Snowdon
Did you have any idea of a rough date for this walk Paul. (how far would the walking be ? distance / time ? ) I'm no walker,never have been, so it'd be a good challenge for me.:)

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Hi,
I am Jamie Alan's other son currently riding a XLV125 Varadero 2012 in White, Something that could go along with the Snowdon walk he was always fond over the East Coast around Great Yarmouth & the Broads in Norfolk/North Suffolk.

An idea..

day before walk:

contiuning on the A14 until Catthorpe Interchange & head through Catthorpe Village to the A5
Take the A5 to Capel Curig via Shrewsbury etc... & take the A4086 towards Snowdonia National Park

estimations non stop this would take around 7hours with good breaks i guess 8hours in a estmination of time with good speed/traffic.
Total Miles 296.

The reason for the long winded route is because when Me, Scott, Mum & my Dad went to the Coast we always went via the A14/A11/A47 & connecting into this we form a old daily communte my Dad made between J10 & J1 of the A14 which is spent many hours on traveling & stuck in traffic!

Hi jamie sounds like a great route, depending on when and work I am sure there will be folks up for this

Sent from my SmartTabII7 using Tapatalk 2

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi,

An idea..

day before walk:

Total Miles 296.

Hi Jamie and welcome to another member of the Vendy clan. You're on the right bike for XRV too, good choice :thumbup:. Sounds like a good route, though XRV members will be coming from all directions so some may join along the route rather than going all the way with you.

Anyway, brilliant to have you on here :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Did you have any idea of a rough date for this walk Paul. (how far would the walking be ? distance / time ? ) I'm no walker,never have been, so it'd be a good challenge for me.:)
Nick

The Llanberis Path is quite a steady pull but not too steep, think motorway slip ramp gradient (it's only the last 1/3rd that gets steeper).

Although the path itself is 9 miles, it's 11 miles to the top and back from the car park near the station at Llanberis. Budget on 3-4 hrs up and 2 - 2 1/2 hrs down and you'll want to spend 1/2 hour at the top is it's clear (if it's not clear and there's a wind then 10 mins is a long time up there!

I would be intending to look at this in late March early April

Reasons - more daylight hours, the top tends to be clearer due to there being generally less clouds around in Spring due to cooler temperatures, the halfway cafe and the Visitor Centre open up in March as do the trains so anyone wanting to get the train can do.

Train options are ticket up and down or some people just do 1 way (up) and walk down. If a weather system moves in the trains sometimes don't go all the way up.

I'll head over there and start getting some information to post up

Here's some info for now

Train times & prices for Snowdon Mountain Railway

Snowdon Mountain Railway - A Majestic train journey to the Summit of Snowdon, the highest peak in Wales.

Llanberis path, Mount Snowdon - moderate walk

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Hi,

An idea..

day before walk:

Total Miles 296.

Hi Jamie - welcome

That's mostly the route members took doing The Longest Day 2010 as we all set off from Lowestoft heading over to Holyhead

Mileage looks spot on but depending on time of day might take longer than 8 hrs - we set off 04.30 and got to Holyhead 11.50 so half of the run was clear but once on the A5 things slowed down a lot

Save some energy for the walk though and the ride home the day after the walk

What is the longest travel you have done in one hit?

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Hi nick I'll walk it with you if you like. Take it nice and easy with a cup of tea at the top

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Hi nick I'll walk it with you if you like. Take it nice and easy with a cup of tea at the top

Now there's an offer no one could refuse

I'm feeling a bit frail too Sharrie !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Paul,
I sent you a private message following up yours, ive done quite some riding in my time. My old Varadero took a pounding every week when i got together my misses in 2009 traveling from Kettering to Selby every week on top of my college runs saw me doing around 400-600 miles per week.
I have also done Kettering to Hull and Back in a day, Selby to Blackpool and return in a day.
My longest run non stop was couple of years ago to my cousions christianing:

Selby to Ticehurt (Tunbridge Wells)
via A1, Sawtry, A14, A10, North Circ, Dartford Crossing, Gravesend & Tunbridge Wells.

left home at 6am, arrived at 4pm with good breaks on the way too.

Did around 260miles in one go.

and i managed to clock up around 15,000 miles in one year of having my old varadeo & in the 3 years i had it did around 42.000miles.

My idea was if i start solo at Great Yarmouth, and anyone who wants to join on the way to Snowdon are more than welcome, my thoughts going the day before was to allow myself a break between the biking & walking (depending if i am fit enough that is!!) I would need around 4 days off,

Day One Travel to Yarmouth
Day Two travel to Snowdon
Day Three Walk
Day Four Travel home.

Jamie

Hi Jamie - welcome

That's mostly the route members took doing The Longest Day 2010 as we all set off from Lowestoft heading over to Holyhead

Mileage looks spot on but depending on time of day might take longer than 8 hrs - we set off 04.30 and got to Holyhead 11.50 so half of the run was clear but once on the A5 things slowed down a lot

Save some energy for the walk though and the ride home the day after the walk

What is the longest travel you have done in one hit?

·
Registered
6 Posts
that would be like me too, when i last walked around London i was feeling it for days after !
I did like doing hiking & mountain biking 6 years ago how things go down hill once you have a motor under ya & stopping in these greasy spoons don't help me (even though it has stopped compared to how i was like!) :p:p:p:p:p
I've seen you walking on the flat, :D:D:D
All you did was whine

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
that would be like me too, when i last walked around London i was feeling it for days after !
I did like doing hiking & mountain biking 6 years ago how things go down hill once you have a motor under ya & stopping in these greasy spoons don't help me (even though it has stopped compared to how i was like!) :p:p:p:p:p
Then you can come with sohoeasy and me :)

With vader along as well well can have some fun tormenting him on the way :D

21 - 40 of 45 Posts