Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
I was thinking about this for some time now but this device depends on GSM signal I think, which can be really poor even in the cities (in Serbia at least).
But for the money it costs, not a bad thing to have

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I was thinking about this for some time now but this device depends on GSM signal I think, which can be really poor even in the cities (in Serbia at least).
But for the money it costs, not a bad thing to have
From my understanding, there are a couple of different style trackers, and different ways of using them.

One type relies entirely on the GSM cellphone network. It uses the GSM network to triangulate its position, and the same network to report its position. Accuracy can vary between 100-500 metres.

The other type calculates its position using a GPS chip, then reports it's position using the GSM cellphone network. These can be accurate to about 10 metres.

There's a couple of ways they can report their position. Either by responding to a text (via GSM) with another text giving their current Lat/Long position and a google maps hyperlink, or by using GPRS sending continuous data (so using the pay as you go data allowance) giving their real time position, on a subscription service ( like the UK Tracker service) You will see some ebay sellers mention annual subscription for the GPRS option.

Another thing worth considering are whether the device has an on board battery.

The type used in the guide appears to be the best cost effective and reliable type.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
552 Posts
I believe you are right BobA. Just been looking again at the models and there is a bunch of them.
No one of course gives current draw and for the motorcycle that is crucial since batteries are low Ah.
TK104A comes with 6000mAh battery which is nice but is on the big size because of it.
I will probably buy one of these some day as you can never get enough protection.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
By god, that is positively bargainous!! :)

Huge thanks mate, I had no idea they were so cheap, probably worth buying some for the farm kit at that price... :thumbup:

I wonder how long the built in battery actually lasts in standby mode?? ie Just GPS monitoring (with I guess, the receiver active)

Later....... from a website review.

Other information in the text message from this GPS tracker includes the speed of the device, so you can monitor and keep a log of how fast your teen is driving in the car. It also informs you of how much battery life is left as well as the tracker's current signal strength.

The battery on the TK-102 Mini GPS Tracker does last 96 hours in standby mode, though actual battery performance depends on how frequently you call it to get status and location updates. You can purchase a car charger for the unit separately.

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It just makes you wonder the true cost of the kit that "security companies" offer and how they trck your stolen vehicle?!!

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
It just makes you wonder the true cost of the kit that "security companies" offer and how they trck your stolen vehicle?!!
The "Tracker" service in the UK is actually quite impressive. I know somebody that has one fitted to their car, and being able to log on, even when it's not stolen, and just for reassurance that somebody is on their way home, is brilliant. I imagine the Tracker system uses GPS and GPRS to report its whereabouts as the updates come through every 5 minutes with location, speed, whether the engine is on/off, all overlaid on their map app which includes journey logs (which helped in a penalty charge dispute) overspeeding, odometer, fuel costs, business costs etc etc. like I said, pretty impressive, although you do pay for it!!

I've ordered one of the TK102 devices along with a proper wired in power supply, for less than £20 including postage from China, so I'll let you all know how I get on.

Bob

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Mmmm,

The last thing I want the strange one to know is where I am and how long it took me to get there :confused::D

I'm afraid I resort to phoning in when I arrive etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for keeping in touch with home, but isn't tracking a bike taking away the freedom of the road ??? the one thing that we all crave for ?? My wife worries a bit when I'm away, but as long as I keep in touch at a pre arranged time, then she's fine with that.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Mmmm,

The last thing I want the strange one to know is where I am and how long it took me to get there :confused::D

I'm afraid I resort to phoning in when I arrive etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for keeping in touch with home, but isn't tracking a bike taking away the freedom of the road ??? the one thing that we all crave for ?? My wife worries a bit when I'm away, but as long as I keep in touch at a pre arranged time, then she's fine with that.

To be honest, the buzz of spending £20 on a tracking device for my bike will wear off after the initial excitement of fitting it, testing it, and showing a few people how it works, UNTIL it gets stolen. Then it could end up being the best £20 I've ever spent!! Nobody else will be monitoring the location of my bike, unless I want them to. I suppose it could be useful for an upcoming big trip, automatically reporting my location to concerned family or a website if I wanted it to.

The car Tracker I mentioned, supplies constant peace of mind to a parent of a new 17 year old driver, that's already done over 10,000 miles in 6 months, a lot of it over distance on motorways.

:clown:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
The "Tracker" service in the UK is actually quite impressive. I know somebody that has one fitted to their car, and being able to log on, even when it's not stolen, and just for reassurance that somebody is on their way home, is brilliant. I imagine the Tracker system uses GPS and GPRS to report its whereabouts as the updates come through every 5 minutes with location, speed, whether the engine is on/off, all overlaid on their map app which includes journey logs (which helped in a penalty charge dispute) overspeeding, odometer, fuel costs, business costs etc etc. like I said, pretty impressive, although you do pay for it!!

I've ordered one of the TK102 devices along with a proper wired in power supply, for less than £20 including postage from China, so I'll let you all know how I get on.

Bob
I did come across one free/low cost website for tracking purposes, this would provide a series of logs etc. More detailed info required a subscription.

Or if you are an Android user: Here. Lots more apps on this page too ;)

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I suppose the choice is how you decide to use the tracking device.

If you're going to install it for peace of mind, that in the unfortunate event your bike is stolen, one text might help you locate and retrieve it, the costs will remain low.

If you're going to use it to use it to track the route of a bike you're riding anyway, it could get expensive and entail constantly topping up the credit on the pay as you go sim, as every change in direction, speed, or few 100 metres, will mean the tracker will use the GPRS data allowance to report it to the application on the android device or PC etc.

I'm just going to install one as a challenge really, and just in case some scumbag takes a liking to my bike when it's sitting in a bike bay in London.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I suppose it could be useful for an upcoming big trip, automatically reporting my location to concerned family or a website if I wanted it to.

:clown:
First you'd have to find someone who cared ;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts