Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got round to mounting my Panniers. And Im pretty pleased with them. Means I will be able to take more stuff away when my missus and I attend the XRV upcoming events.

Panniers = Allit boxes, got for £85 for the pair from this site.
Rack = GIVI, appox £75
Mounts = £38

So Full pannier system for under £200. BARGAIN. Yes they probably wont survive a crash or a drop...but with the missus on the back nor would I with the grief Id get so its not a major concern.

And the 90L Gelert Exped bag on the back to finish the touring luggage....

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Nice job! I really must get a set of decent boxes for the Tiger. :D

Andy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nice. I've got a black AT as well. Is that a bagster tank cover you have? Looks a lot like mine, but mine is solid black. Yours looks pretty slick. Black bikes are the quickest from what I've heard. ;)

Can you get your left rear plastic off with your Givi pannier rack on? I can get mine loose, but can't get it out from behind the rack without risking scratching something.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice. I've got a black AT as well. Is that a bagster tank cover you have? Looks a lot like mine, but mine is solid black. Yours looks pretty slick. Black bikes are the quickest from what I've heard. ;)

Can you get your left rear plastic off with your Givi pannier rack on? I can get mine loose, but can't get it out from behind the rack without risking scratching something.

Yep, its a bagster, came with the bike when I got it. Glad its on as well otherwise my tank would be a bit of a mess with the way it gets treated.

Havent tried to get the plastics off with the rack on. will give it a go tomorrow. Hope I can as it will be pain to have to take the rack off to get behind the plastic.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just remember you have them fitted the next time you filter through traffic.

Nice neat job. :thumbup:
Youre right, have to remember. I got to the lights earlier and normally would have gone straight to the front (2 lanes of traffic) but I held back. They are slightly wider than my bars so will have to be careful.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Hiya Mike
What was the total width with the panniers on ?

Sent from my iPhone using Magic

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hiya Mike
What was the total width with the panniers on ?

Sent from my iPhone using Magic
Approx (because they are no longer on the bike) 105cm. My hand guards are the widest point and measure 92cm so the panniers overhang each side. They are wide but dont seem too bad when they are on the bike....will have to be careful filtering. But they will only ever get used for weekends away with the missus. If I go away solo I wont need them as I an get all in my 90L bag.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

Yes, its a pain, I undo the footrest bolts, loosen the underseat bolts and put a towel between the plastic and the frame:( but its a faff.

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
have the panniers got the aluminium reinforcing plates inside ??????? - worth doing as they feel much more solid with them fitted.

Also you will be surprised - i dropped my bike when i travelled up to Scotland - dodgy camber and i fell over the other way and the pannier landed on a kerb - with the bikes and luggage weight on top - put a farily decent dent in the case, but when i got home i bashed it out with a hammer and its fine - just battle scars :p (ive got the same boxes)

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
have the panniers got the aluminium reinforcing plates inside ??????? - worth doing as they feel much more solid with them fitted.

Also you will be surprised - i dropped my bike when i travelled up to Scotland - dodgy camber and i fell over the other way and the pannier landed on a kerb - with the bikes and luggage weight on top - put a farily decent dent in the case, but when i got home i bashed it out with a hammer and its fine - just battle scars :p (ive got the same boxes)
No reinforcing plates inside yet. Just the large metal washers that came with the mounting kit. I was planning on getting a few strips of aluminium to strengthen the mounting points up a bit.

Glad to know if they get dropped they are easy enough to bash back into shape.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You NEED the reinforcement strips as I can see that your near side pannier is already Sagging !
see pics below the same panniers on my old (sold) AT

I do have a BRAND NEW set of Allits and the mounting pucks going spare ( inc liner bags) which I may sell:rolleyes:

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You NEED the reinforcement strips as I can see that your near side pannier is already Sagging !
see pics below the same panniers on my old (sold) AT

I do have a BRAND NEW set of Allits and the mounting pucks going spare ( inc liner bags) which I may sell:rolleyes:
Will do Magwa. I still have work to do on them, just wanted to get them mounted to see how they looked. Pleased with them so far. I have some Al in the garage but dont really want to ruin my gold sluice to get at it. Will see if I can use something else, or buy a small sheet of Al from B&Q or somewhere.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hi beddowsm, you've done a neat job fitting those :thumbright:

Any chance of telling us what the fixing kit is and where from please? I was thinking of bodging some brackets but don't want to leave them too weak for the weight of the boxes when full. If that makes sense

Cheers

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any chance of telling us what the fixing kit is and where from please?
Got my fixing kit from Home - Welcome to Touringxtras - The website for affordable touring accessories.....

Delivery was quick, only a few days. Theres photos on the site of the fixing mounts.

Cost me £38 in postage a few weeks ago, just checked and they are now £50.

If you check back through my threads take a look at the thread when I bought the Allit panniers. I think theres some posts on alternative places for mounts etc etc.

One tip for mounting (was given to me by Paul-S). The instructions say remove your rack etc etc. Far easier to buy some cheap straps (from Wilko's) and strap the panniers to the bike. Get them in position (can be done solo). Once you are happy get the spacer (the bit that sits between the pannier and the rack). Put some double sided sticky tape on it (I used velcro as thats all I had). Put the spacer in position at the sides of the rack. Remove pannier with the spacers in place. Drill straight through. Easy job.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now Ive drilled holes in the panniers Im expecting that water will get in. How have others stopped this?

I will be putting my gear in dry bags (bin liners). So Im not bothered if water gets in. But if it gets in Id like it to be able to get out again. Is it worth drilling a couple of small holes in the bottoms of the panniers so it drains out automatically?

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Copious amounts of Silicone Sealer on the bolts and holes drilled will sort it. Don't drill a hole in the bottom - what can get out can get in.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Copious amounts of Silicone Sealer on the bolts and holes drilled will sort it. Don't drill a hole in the bottom - what can get out can get in.
Only problem is there has to be a clear hole all the way through as the mount has to be able to turn to lock into place on the rack? So Im not sure silicone wooul work? But will give it a go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts