Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the market for a GPS system as one of my specialties is getting lost, however I wasn't in the mood to spend £340 for the TomTom Rider2 Western Europe (or even more for a Garmin).
Noticing that TomTom have recently released the same navigation software they use on their units as a £60 iPhone app I got to thinking how I could cobble together something much cheaper.
I'm not sure where (might have been on these forums) but I came across this product by Givi Accessories so I thought that for £40 it was worth a shot. Here's how it's worked out on my recently new Transalp 700:

the wire you see coming out of the bottom of the bag is connected to a 12v socket down near my left boot. It cost £7 from Amazon:

I gotta say that I'm surprised how well it all works. The glare you see in the top photo is much stronger than it looks in real life. Ok, I don't have any voice commands I can hear, but even this could happen if I got one of those Scala headsets, or maybe even any bluetooth headset. Personally I'm not sure how much I'd want to hear someone barking orders at me all the time, and it only takes a half second glance down at the screen to see where to go.
If you've got the right handset you can even get the GPS software for free, so you can save £60 there too.
Normally my DIY projects are a bit of a disaster but I'm happy to report this one isn't :thumbright:

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
How do you find the window for steaming up?

I got a cheap gps with the plan to mount it to the bike properly but didn't get around to it yet, and when I use it in the map pocket of the tank bag, it steams up something awful (not that I could really look at it much in that position anyway so relied on the earphones mostly). Those little givi bags look ideal because my gps isn't waterproof, so they waterproof it and put it easily in your line of site too, without messing around making a mount.

I notice in your photo that it's wet, but there's no condensation in the window?

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
How do you find the window for steaming up?

I got a cheap gps with the plan to mount it to the bike properly but didn't get around to it yet, and when I use it in the map pocket of the tank bag, it steams up something awful (not that I could really look at it much in that position anyway so relied on the earphones mostly). Those little givi bags look ideal because my gps isn't waterproof, so they waterproof it and put it easily in your line of site too, without messing around making a mount.

I notice in your photo that it's wet, but there's no condensation in the window?
Please tell me you bought the satnav recently and did not have it with you when you came to scotland:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also have the iphone and was thinking about this solution but I am worried that i have to take it back and fourth of the plastic pocket all the time since iphone's screen needs the finger to control it. And that means also ripping off the tight-as-hell sitting gloves every time i want to do something in the user interface of the navigation application...

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Please tell me you bought the satnav recently and did not have it with you when you came to scotland:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D
:D I wish I had it then! I bought it for my trip last summer.

I did have a tomtom thing running on my phone, but I ended up abandoning it in edinburugh after it had lead me around in circles several times trying to find the bridge (maps were well out of date and it kept going wrong). I was OK once I'd got rid of that crappy little AA book and got myself a proper big map though (honest :D).

This new satnav is much better and helps a lot. It got me back from europe recently so it must be good (well apart from the time it lead me through what I thought was a very expensive toll road booth in switzerland, with no option of turning back due to traffic queuing up behind me, only to be confronted with a train on the other side then hearing the crazy satnav lady say "now please catch the ferry!" - that one freaked me out a bit at the time but it was fun taking the bike for a ride on a train :D)

Now I think back, there were a few incidents like that, one that almost ended up with the bike over the edge of a massive hill, and me having to ride a hikers path to a campsite, so maybe this one isn't what it's cracked up to be either :( Still, if I didn't have it, I might still be out there now :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For me it didn't steam up at all, but the rain was fairly light. Am yet to test it in a deluge. It gives me the impression of being pretty waterproof.

Finger controls do work through the plastic, but not with gloves on. So at least you don't have to take the phone out of the holder, which is better than nothing.

It's not perfect but it is cheap. And speaking of which there are definitely cheaper alternatives than TomTom for iPhone. I went with TomTom 'cos one of my mates is always banging on about them, and I couldn't stand the though of all his moaning I would get if I went for some other brand. Hey, for all I know the alternatives are much better.
I'll say this for TomTom, the software is pretty impressive and picked out every single speed camera that came up.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I use a Tomtom One XL for my work so use that on the bike. I have a special double sucker mount which I stick on the screen and if it rains I stick a freezer bag over it and secure with the wire ties that come with them! And yes, I am Scottish! HA HA!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I use a Tomtom One XL for my work so use that on the bike. I have a special double sucker mount which I stick on the screen and if it rains I stick a freezer bag over it and secure with the wire ties that come with them! And yes, I am Scottish! HA HA!:thumbup:
Any chance of pictures of the mounting ?? looking to get satnav on the bike. Need to get my hands on a easy to fit 12 v socket.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Ok I must be thick, i can not see in Amazon, Wemeto or David Silver a 12 v socket suitable to run from the battery and mount up near the handle bars such that I can use the car GPS. Only other option buy a spare cable, cut the cig connector off and run to the battery.

I am sh#t at electrics so help would be appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Ok I must be thick, i can not see in Amazon, Wemeto or David Silver a 12 v socket suitable to run from the battery and mount up near the handle bars such that I can use the car GPS. Only other option buy a spare cable, cut the cig connector off and run to the battery.

You can buy the outlets in Halfords Or if you want get one of These

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a TT Rider2 on the handlebar and its position is okay ,just a quick look down for the next direction. Still ,setting the GPS in your street view would be wiser and safer. I'am still looking for a way like this.

The new Tenere has a steel bar at that point to place the GPS bracket ,would be nice if some aftermarket company makes the same for the 700.

Enjoy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I'm hesitant to answer this 'cos I'm pretty clueless too, but isn't a cig connector the same thing as a 12v socket?
All I know is I had my 12v socket fitted by my dealership when I bought the bike. The guy in the shop said it's important to connect it "into the loom" correctly or you end up draining the battery. No idea how to do that.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Not as cheap as mine ,tesco box £1.86 ,sponge 3 pack £0.50 ,bathroom sealant i had in the garage

I use a Tomtom 510 on a Ram Mount it is designed for car use and i do use it in the car but in Belgium last year it absolutly pissed down all the time I was in the country i did put a plastic bag over it but that started getting on my nerves so i pulled it of where the Ram-mount is located very little water fell onto it directly it was only what was blowing from around the screen that got it wet but i never failed of cut out so it must be reasonably water resistant but not submersible

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I'm hesitant to answer this 'cos I'm pretty clueless too, but isn't a cig connector the same thing as a 12v socket?
All I know is I had my 12v socket fitted by my dealership when I bought the bike. The guy in the shop said it's important to connect it "into the loom" correctly or you end up draining the battery. No idea how to do that.
Looks like I need to get to a garage to fit a 12 v socket. :thumbleft:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I used my iPhone 3gs with CoPilot UK as it was only £25 as an app. Put it in my pocket with earphones in ears.

Great app, allowed me to create an onthego playlist for music and play it through the app whilst directions where called out. I could hear the instructions clearly enough even listening to ACDC, Whitesnake etc but I wouldve liked to be able to set the nav voice louder than the music by say 20%.

Nav was spot on. Amended routes within 30sec if I detoured....and without the TomTom turnaround rubbish they seem to suffer from....biggest reason I didn't but TT software.

Biggest issue us battery useage. I got approx 3 hours use if music and nav before the battery was too low to use nav...it warns you and stops so your nit left with a dead phone, useful safety feature.

I like the Givi bag idea, would still want to be plugged in though, even without music, I don't like the idea of looking at a screen but then again I've never tried. I usually know where I'm going per departure anyway and use nav to assist me, not direct.

Like that cig socket location. Got something similar from Touratech though I mistakenly ordered a strange BMW socket instead of a cig socket. Gotta do a swap I think. Currently have a socket under my seat by battery with iPod cable running under the tank to the bars but obviously I can't remove it during bad weather so might amend to this location.

As per finger use with gloves....there is such a thing as glove dots which replicate fingers. They stick to gloves I think. Will try to find them somewhere and edit this to show them.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Regards to the power socket, look at these first:

12v Motorcycle Chassis Cigarette Socket - Phone-Sat Nav on eBay (end time 23-Feb-10 19:32:56 GMT)

Motorcycle Waterproof 12V Power Socket - Sat Nav - GPS on eBay (end time 02-Mar-10 21:09:14 GMT)

12V inline motorcycle accessory power socket 30cm cable on eBay (end time 20-Feb-10 21:04:57 GMT)

12V inline motorcycle accessory power socket 65cm cable on eBay (end time 20-Feb-10 21:12:51 GMT)

12v Waterproof Power Socket,1.2m Loom (blade fuse) plug on eBay (end time 03-Mar-10 19:56:58 GMT)

Etc Etc.....you get the idea....
Or do a search for optimate on Ebay, and this gives you the option then of having a fly lead which you can then connect whatever accessory to the lead depending on what you need.... I personnally have two items to plug into the lead, one being a 12v socket, and the other is a jump lead attachment for either jump starting other bikes or my bike if needed. And when not required the lead just tucks away behind one of the side panels.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Regards to the power socket, look at these first:

12v Motorcycle Chassis Cigarette Socket - Phone-Sat Nav on eBay (end time 23-Feb-10 19:32:56 GMT)

Motorcycle Waterproof 12V Power Socket - Sat Nav - GPS on eBay (end time 02-Mar-10 21:09:14 GMT)

12V inline motorcycle accessory power socket 30cm cable on eBay (end time 20-Feb-10 21:04:57 GMT)

12V inline motorcycle accessory power socket 65cm cable on eBay (end time 20-Feb-10 21:12:51 GMT)

12v Waterproof Power Socket,1.2m Loom (blade fuse) plug on eBay (end time 03-Mar-10 19:56:58 GMT)

Etc Etc.....you get the idea....
Or do a search for optimate on Ebay, and this gives you the option then of having a fly lead which you can then connect whatever accessory to the lead depending on what you need.... I personnally have two items to plug into the lead, one being a 12v socket, and the other is a jump lead attachment for either jump starting other bikes or my bike if needed. And when not required the lead just tucks away behind one of the side panels.

FAB exactly what I was after, why can I not suss this ebay searching lark !!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts