Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stripping down my xl650 to remove the engine,got all the top bits off and decided to have a go at the exhaust.Laying down to check where it was bolted on i notice the frame looked a bit dodgy,using a lever found the frame was completely rusted through and detached.So people get out and check yours,mines a 2001 model and it was moteed.Looks like i will have to scrap mine as its beyond repair.
tuggy

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hey thats bad news and bloody dangerous! But make sure you check it out well before you write it off its amazing what a good fabricater/welder might do putting new sections in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi i agree it is dangerous but the engine is still holding it all together,and some bikes don't have lower frame rails.
tuggy.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi i agree it is dangerous but the engine is still holding it all together,and some bikes don't have lower frame rails.
tuggy.
Fair comment,but the ones without lower rails have been designed with the engine as a stressed member, its a matter of whether its strong enough.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh dear,not good at all.I'm sure that someone else on this site had the same problem, a little while ago.Could have been last year. Sure you could find the post if you cared to take a look.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi no pics,but mine was broke where the circular tubes join the lumpy bit(have a look and you will see what i mean)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Look in this video at 14:15 on the resto of an RD07. The whole vid is interesting BTW
Rust must be a British thing because my 1988 RD03 has only two sposts of surface rust, no bigger than a small coin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=859&v=oJQoJ6asx2Y

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
that's a bit of bad luck there is plenty of well skilled lads building chopper frames even . its just a case of finding the right man for the job who wont try and put a saddle on you good luck with it and thanks for the heads up .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the exhaust off today so i thought i would post a pic.There is evidence of previous welding in that area and looks like its been snapped for a while.If i stripped it and had it repaired and by the time i had done all the other jobs i would be lucky to get my money back so i am going to strip it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
That's repairable. Half a day tops. Probably less.
I would still swap a better frame. The rust you see usually hides rust you don't see. The frame is probably rotten all over from the inside.

Lee

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
That rust looks very localised. The head of the engine cover bolt seems to have suffered as well? Might this have been caused by a poorly routed battery vent tube or an acid spill?

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
I would still swap a better frame. The rust you see usually hides rust you don't see. The frame is probably rotten all over from the inside.

Lee
I dunno, it looks like it's rusted from the outside in this instance.
So much for the Honda legendary build quality :)
It is a 14/15yr old bike.

The comment re battery acid could be very valid as the corrosion looks localised & steelwork looks to be eaten from the outside - what is the rest of the frame like?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The rest of the frame is average but thats the only real problem area,there is evidence of previous welding in that area.Could be a valid point about the battery breather but the present battery has no breather.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts