Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Unfortunately the article appears to be written by someone who doesn't know the difference between velocity and acceleration units. The article says a cheetah is more powerful than a motorcycle but then the only comparison with a motorcycle is "[Cheetahs] are getting lateral accelerations bigger than a motorbike can achieve". Lateral acceleration is all about fast changes of direction and not power.

The sad thing is that, having checked out the author, he is a physics graduate from Imperial College!!! Mind you, he has been working at the Grauniad for 10 years so maybe he's just de-skilled in that time forgetting even basic applied mathematics. Still, as long as he uses some big words and some copy that sounds good, who's really worried about the accuracy :rolleyes:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Quoting statistics in isolation always leads to cobblers like this.Faster than horse yes, but would a cheetah survive the grand national?
Then again do many horses.
Do you find cheetahs in pies?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Quoting statistics in isolation always leads to cobblers like this.
It wouldn't be such an issue if he had actually quoted the research properly. There is a made-up headline than bears no relation to the research he then cites in the article. He misquotes portions of the research thus rendering it utterly meaningless. Now, if he was a gardening correspondent just muddling along and doing his best then maybe I could understand it, but this guy is meant to be a physicist. He's an Imperial College graduate and is a Guardian science correspondent. If he can't get basic stuff like this right, he really shouldn't be in the job. Utter bell end!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Alan,
I agree there, bad reporting especially in science does my swede in.
Not needed. In fact bad reporting anywhere.
Did he compare a cheetah to a house fly? 50x more powerful and manoueverable.
And dont get me started on things being ten times smaller.
Wheelie thanks for bringing this business back to earth.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wheelie thanks for bringing this business back to earth.
As the sign in the gents used to say:

We aim to please.
You aim too, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alan,

On a serious note his original copy could well have been re-written by Guardian subs. Subs is the name given to sub-editors, sometimes called by writers, sub-humans.

Much of the time they perform a vital task but sometimes they FUBAR articles. I've had it - had one recently where they rewrote my first par into one, long, 45-word sentence.

Much of the time this is due to pressure of time, some advert coming in late, requiring a fresh layout or some editor or legal eagle giving their opinion.

If I am honest, I saw more bad sub-editing on The Grauniad than anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Well he needs to get a job elsewhere in that case because, if that is what happened, the sub-human in question just succeeded in making the author look like a prize bell end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts