Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems all the original spec Tourances are now made in China & not the Fatherland

Are they ok, grip wise in the dry & more importantly the wet :)

Jap Dunlops from yesteryear put the fear of god on me, still after 30 years

Are the China Tourances ok ???

Let's have your views :)

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
Metzra Toolance.

I hope they don't ruin my tyre of choice.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Coo, "InstaSlip" Dunlop's...

I remember those, I also remember the touch and feel of Irish tarmac!!!! :-(

Got a fresh Tourance rear on my Vara, and it seems OK so far.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Don't know about the Fatherland, but my rear Tourance was made in Brazil.
Just heard this story from a bloke at work with a GS 1150.
Chinese Tourances front and back.
He reckons they wear at a more rapid rate
Its knocked back his confidence in corners when he sussed where they came from.
When Doc Martins production moved to China they never seemed or felt the same as mad as that sounds.
But tyres have a much more important than that !
I have always used Michelin Anakees but given the mixed reviews, gave them a miss this time around and bought Tourances for the 07 as they were on the 03 as well.
The rear is German and the front is Brazil on both bikes.
After a few hundred Kms I prefer them to the Anakees.
You seem to get much better feed back from road surfaces.
Any more on the story or is everyone happy so far.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Some 2 months ago I changed my tyres on my Varadero....from bridgestone to Michelin Pilot road 4 Trails.....In my opinion these are Feckin awesome (not sure about longevity as only done about 2000m). Very impressed in both the wet and dry....will certainly have the same again.

This choice was based on my R1 where I changed from Bridgestone again (After various Pirelli, Dunlop variants) to Michelin Pilot Power 3...again a feckin superb tyre......after much research I believe Michelin are at the top end of motorcycle tyre development...for the real world (Their 2CT compound technology supports this).

Allot depends on your confidence with the rubber beneath you......for me its Michelin.....others it may well be a diff brand tyre.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I dont know much about them only I had a tourance on the front of a bmw R100t and I preferred it to an all road tyre as I used to be rideing up some pretty shitty roads on it and the bike felt nicer . I have a Michelin sirac on the front and a bridgestone trailwing on the back the bike handles well enough on them no chicken strips either I use all the thread because im totally awesome :lol: but I had a bridgestone bt45 road tyre on the back before and it handled beautiful on it . I have done 5000 kms on the tyres maybe 6000 on the front and I still have a hape of thread left . if it was a sports bike I would have a couple of sets of tyres and gallons and gallons and gallons of petrol more burnt . hard to beat the old transalp :thumb:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Some 2 months ago I changed my tyres on my Varadero....from bridgestone to Michelin Pilot road 4 Trails.....In my opinion these are Feckin awesome (not sure about longevity as only done about 2000m). Very impressed in both the wet and dry....will certainly have the same again.

This choice was based on my R1 where I changed from Bridgestone again (After various Pirelli, Dunlop variants) to Michelin Pilot Power 3...again a feckin superb tyre......after much research I believe Michelin are at the top end of motorcycle tyre development...for the real world (Their 2CT compound technology supports this).

Allot depends on your confidence with the rubber beneath you......for me its Michelin.....others it may well be a diff brand tyre.
No doubt the Pilots are outstanding tyres used them on a GSX I had and loved the confidence they gave.
But the Anakee 3's I don't know.
Mixed views.

·
Registered
125 Posts
No doubt the Pilots are outstanding tyres used them on a GSX I had and loved the confidence they gave.
But the Anakee 3's I don't know.
Mixed views.
I ran the Anakee 2's for quite some time on my Alp and thought they were very capable. The tread pattern also suited the style of bike :D

When the 3's came out I did hear mixed reviews about them, but mainly due to the difficulty in fitting them (Very stiff sidewalls).

If I remember correctly the Michelin website recommends the trails for the Varadero, thats what swayed me.....so far I'm very impressed with their "on road" ability....maybe they would be shite off road.......they did however handle a wet grassy field at the recent Essex Air Ambulance Bike Run :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Had a look at my tourance tyres last night and they are the chinese made ones,

Seem just as good as ever . will have to see how long they last.:thumbup:

Ian.

08 Varadero.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts