Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Pommie Dommies from sunny 'Stralia, you must be getting excited at summer biking weather in the offing soon eh!:cool:

Have been lurking on here for a while now, lots of good info and a great community, which has helped me in the process of tidying up an old red Dommie, must be old cos it has a drum rear brake! The bike's a bit rough but I intend to gradually clean it up as I ride it to and from work. I've had some starting and running issues which improved when I fitted a new standard air filter and tweaked the slow running mixture screw. What I've found now after stripping the carby off to clean out the float bowl is the plastic nut affair that holds the choke cable into the carby body has cracked in two around the thread leaving the choke cable flapping around and the broken bit of threaded plastic stuck in the body.

I can order a replacement cable from Honda here in Adelaide for 30 bucks (about 15 quid) but I can't find out for sure whether the plastic part comes as part of the cable or whether its a spare part that comes on a new carby. It doesn't seem to be available separately. I've looked at choke cables on Evil Bay but either the pictures are poor or they are bagged up and you can't see! I have seen a new 42mm Keihin CV carb for an XR650L in the US with the plastic part on the carb but I'm still not sure as you'd have to strip the choke slide off the cable to assemble the thing...

Does anyone know the answer to this or should I just glue the thing back together?...super strength Araldite did a great job on the leaking inlet manifold! All the best on two wheels to you all, cheers.:thumbright:

·
Registered
942 Posts
g'day bagonails
that plastic part doesn't come as part of the clutch cable ,
it comes as part of a 3 piece choke set along with the choke plunger and cable fitting , number 8 in the pic
Honda Nx650 Dominator 1988 Australia Carburetor - schematic partsfiche

think i'd try the glue method first , but a local Honda dealer should be able to sort you out

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
g'day bagonails
that plastic part doesn't come as part of the clutch cable ,
it comes as part of a 3 piece choke set along with the choke plunger and cable fitting , number 8 in the pic
Honda Nx650 Dominator 1988 Australia Carburetor - schematic partsfiche

think i'd try the glue method first , but a local Honda dealer should be able to sort you out
G'day Nick, ah yes I see, that includes the choke slider and needle etc. bound to be a small fortune here. Thanks for clearing that one up so quickly for me. Out with the glue it is then! I managed to get the broken piece out of the body with a pin so there is a good chance of saving it. Good on ya mate!

·
Registered
942 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also need that same wee nut - local Honda dealer asking for £46, UK - nae chance... Its the same set-up as Transalp/NTV/AT carbs, so must be plenty lying around the bike breakers floor...

·
Registered
741 Posts
There is a Kawasaki carb that uses the same fitting but on the carb, not handlebar mounted.
I think its a KLX or KLR one that fits.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's an aluminium version i seen for sale on here somewhere cant remember who was selling them though

Edit
Found the link

Aluminium Choke Valve Guide - Rugged Roads
That's more like it.
I've glued mine for now so we'll see how long it lasts.

Bike is running better so I think some air was getting past with the broken nut thing. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Bagonails. I started a thread on the same subject in the For Sale / Wanted section of the forum on 1st March 2014. Title was Dominator choke mechanism. If you have a read of that you will find that unfortunately the Rugged Roads choke mechanism from the AT doesn't fit the Dominator. I hope the glue works - i tried it using superglue but that failed almost immediately. Let us know if Araldite works for more than a few days. Anything to avoid having to buy a kit of parts when you only need one small part of the kit.

Kevkirky - I tried all the bike breakers that I know of, and nobody had any lying around on their floor! They all said that the complete carb is the easiest part of a Dominator to sell when they break one.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The choke unit is the same thread on Keihin PWK carbs and are simpler as they mount to the carb body and don't need a handlebar mounted lever.
Or you could buy a metal threaded one from Bailey aviation.
Bailey Aviation

·
Registered
10 Posts
A litlle bit of super glue and on it goes! It helps screwing it with love and a bit of silicone grease!
Greets

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I glued the end back on overnight then coated the threads and screwed it back into the carb body. All has been well for a few hundred kms but now I've lost my sparks! Just a temporary hitch to be sure...

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's just a standard pitch M12 thread where it screws into the carb body.
I made one for a Funduro a few years ago and it looks the same. Anyone with a lathe could knock one up, but having said that some of those Ebay jobs look fine for the money.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but was wondering if its possible to get rid of the handle bar mounted choke lever and just fit a plunger style one on the side of the carb??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts