Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have just landed in Germany and picked up my 01 alp.

I have no idea which way the choke lever is for on and off. It seems to make no difference to the idle speed.

I think off is away from the rider and on is pull towards the rider??

Given there is also a petrol smell when the bike is idling, combined with no noticeable difference in Isle speed wherever the lever is, is it possible the choke is stuck on ?

If so what the fix...don't forget for dummies! (Or just dummy)

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Towards the bar is on, pushed forward is off.

The most effective way is to fully strip the ends from the carbs but it is fiddly & requires tank removal....

You may be able to effect a cure by removing the choke/clutch lever pivot bolt, removing the choke lever from the cable, pull the rubber sheath away & try to lube while working the cable - a syringe with small needle is ideal for this ;)

sent from my 'phone

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If you can't find a needle and syringe lying about (Phil lives in a very dodgy area ;)), get a plastic bag and either an elastic band, sticky tape or even a bit of string. Nick a small hole in the corner of the bag, slide it over the cable end and tape/band/string tie as tight as poss round the outer sleeve. Hold upwards and dribble oil into the corner of the bag. The idea is to form a puddle over the cable where it comes out of the sleeve, while you work the cable to and fro. The oil should work slowly down and ease the cable. If you don't have any oil, add a few drops from your dipstick: not ideal, but better than nothing. Worth fixing before a long trip, as the extra fuel is no good for your bores (the engine's, not your mates) or for your fuel consumption. Good luck.

If you get really stuck, you could try the KCCD* method of getting help; ride round and round the town's ring road until you are spotted by a local biker, wave him down and plead for help. Most bikers will help, or at least point you in the right direction.

* 'The King Croesus Contempt for Death' round the world trip by a couple of Norwegians. A couple of true adventurers, about as different from the Long Way Round as you could get, their blog is a real treat. Full of understatement and laconic humour, but be warned; you'll get hooked and spend hours on it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The previous responses are right on for how to fix your choke. My TA would not start if the choke was not on, so I suspect yours is stuck on. If so, it would idle fast, I think. You maybe smelling gas if you are filling the tank to the top. I get a slight smell if I do that. I only fill to the bottom of the pipe in the tank. Of course if your choke is stuck on, that could be producing the smell. I don't know that much about it, just adding my comments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts